007 challenge. anyone game?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BradG

Your mission, would be to design a pen which contains at least one feature which would assist an agent out in the field or in the case of a survival event.

Here's some food for thought

aaPianoWire.jpg

glass-breaker-hammer-and-seat-belt-cutter-accident-survival-tool_fqkklr1342766063538.jpg

a-whistle-004.jpg

HiattHandcuffsHH8010rw145915148.jpg

Cyalume-tactical-lights-lead.jpg

Swedish%20Firesteel%20-%20Army%20Model-1.jpeg

owner_jobu_big_game_hook.bmp

hpp9n8LN6Qc9n8labOZ-CLpfqf8LAe3D94GpYN4iQYTFH0zM82h6onWSF5nQY9TRCgj8=w300

PF21065.jpg

326-22013.jpg

signal-mirror-01.jpg

and so much more......

So who would be up for the challenge? We could put the entries to a vote, if we were to say the deadline was October 31st.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Too easy ....

A bullet pen that actually cocks and fires a bullet. :)

(no, I'm not dumb enough to build a "zip gun" ... those are illegal in the USA.)

BradG

I know they're definitely illegal in the UK. a rubber band gun is borderline illegal here. Im surprised we're still allowed air rifles. I thought you guys were allowed to make your own guns without a licence or is that black powder firearms?

We're not even allowed to make one of those tiny canons which fire a small BB without a firearms certificate.

alankulwicki7

I know they're definitely illegal in the UK. a rubber band gun is borderline illegal here. Im surprised we're still allowed air rifles. I thought you guys were allowed to make your own guns without a licence or is that black powder firearms?

We're not even allowed to make one of those tiny canons which fire a small BB without a firearms certificate.

How do you have any fun over there?:eek:

I've seen those little cannons and they look like fun!:biggrin:

BradG

How do you have any fun over there?:eek:

I've seen those little cannons and they look like fun!:biggrin:

they do look fun. but the moment we drill a hole through to the barrel to light it, even if there's only room for a few grains, they're classed as Section 1 Firearms, as they are capable of shooting a single projectile.

Gutted... I really wanted to make some of those! will build a big rocket instead :biggrin:

John Cleese said:
ANNOUNCEMENT

The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent terrorist threats and have therefore raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved."

Soon, though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross." The English have not been "A Bit Cross" since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies nearly ran out. Terrorists have been re-categorized from "Tiresome" to "A Bloody Nuisance." The last time the British issued a "Bloody Nuisance" warning level was in 1588, when threatened by the Spanish Armada.

The Scots have raised their threat level from "Pissed Off" to "Let's get the Bastards." They don't have any other levels. This is the reason they have been used on the front line of the British army for the last 300 years.

The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its terror alert level from "Run" to "Hide." The only two higher levels in France are "Collaborate" and "Surrender." The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralyzing the country's military capability.

Italy has increased the alert level from "Shout Loudly and Excitedly" to "Elaborate Military Posturing." Two more levels remain: "Ineffective Combat Operations" and "Change Sides."

The Germans have increased their alert state from "Disdainful Arrogance" to "Dress in Uniform and Sing Marching Songs." They also have two higher levels: "Invade a Neighbor" and "Lose."

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual; the only threat they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels.

The Spanish are all excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy. These beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so the new Spanish navy can get a really good look at the old Spanish navy.

Americans meanwhile and as usual are carrying out pre-emptive strikes, on all of their allies, just in case.

And in the southern hemisphere...

New Zealand has also raised its security levels - from "baaa" to "BAAAA!". Due to continuing defense cutbacks (the airforce being a squadron of spotty teenagers flying paper aeroplanes and the navy some toy boats in the Prime Minister's bath), New Zealand only has one more level of escalation, which is "I hope Australia will come and rescue us".

Australia, meanwhile, has raised its security level from "No worries" to "She'll be right, mate". Three more escalation levels remain: "Crikey!', "I think we'll need to cancel the barbie this weekend" and "The barbie is cancelled". So far no situation has ever warranted use of the final escalation level.

Last edited:

Skie_M

You can have plans for a zip gun ...

You can have parts that could go into a zip gun ...

You can not have a complete zip gun ... (it was made against federal law many years ago)

Given the current situation here in the states with the "war on law enforcement" going on (thin blue line), if zip guns were actually legal to own and operate, how many of them do you think would end up in criminal hands and used on a daily basis just because they are so easy to conceal and get past security checkpoints?

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
No Brad, you got it wrong......that is another reason NOT to live in USA...:wink:

We can make our own fire arm without a license for personal use. If we were to sell it, it then has to have a serial number and all the tax stamps/paper work.

Almost worth moving to the states for that reason alone

If I get time, then I'll try and take up your challenge. :biggrin:

BradG

thats potentially three of us :biggrin: first,second, and third covered lol. We're all winners so far!

mecompco

You can have plans for a zip gun ...

You can have parts that could go into a zip gun ...

You can not have a complete zip gun ... (it was made against federal law many years ago)

Given the current situation here in the states with the "war on law enforcement" going on (thin blue line), if zip guns were actually legal to own and operate, how many of them do you think would end up in criminal hands and used on a daily basis just because they are so easy to conceal and get past security checkpoints?

I respectfully must disagree. A "Pen Gun", or any gun that is disguised to look like something else, such as a Zippo lighter, etc. is classified as an "Any Other Weapon" under the National Firearms Act. They ARE legal, but one must file the appropriate paperwork BEFORE making them, and pay a one-time $5.00 tax (a pretty good deal, as the tax on machineguns and suppressors is $200.00).

Back in the 90's when I had my Class III license (as well as a Title II Manufacture's license), we sold many pen guns. Are they practical--not really. We did have one model that looks pretty much like a pen and would actually write--there was a super short ballpoint insert that covered the barrel--one would shoot through it in an emergency. These were all .22LR in caliber.

The action on most of these is pretty simple--draw back the bolt and release it to fire. A company called Military Armament Corp (MAC) made the "Stinger" that was much more compact and complex, but it didn't really look like a pen (MAC also made the MAC 10/11/etc. series of submachineguns).

So yes, in states in which AOWs are allowed, anyone who qualifies to own a handgun (over 21, not a felon, etc.) can make a pen gun. It's a hassle to do the paperwork, but it can be done.

Regards,
Michael

Last edited:

BradG

lol just so long as no one is trying to copy the design of the Bulgarian umbrella, with a ball of Ricin in the sharpened tip.

Wikipedia said:
A Bulgarian umbrella is an umbrella with a hidden pneumatic mechanism which injects a small poisonous pellet containing ricin. It has a hollowed stalk into which the pellet neatly sits.

Such an umbrella was allegedly used in and named for the assassination of the Bulgarian dissident writer Georgi Markov on 7 September 1978 (the birthday of the Bulgarian State Council chairman Todor Zhivkov who had often been the target of Georgi Markov's criticism) on Waterloo Bridge in London, (Markov died three days later) and also allegedly used in the failed assassination attempt against the Bulgarian dissident journalist Vladimir Kostov the same year in the Paris MĂ©tro. The poison used in both cases was ricin. Both assassination attempts are believed to have been organized by the Bulgarian Secret Service of the time of the Cold War with the assistance of the KGB.[1]
671px-Markov_umbrella.svg.png

SteveJ

Brad

I am going to try to get something done for this, but unfortunately time may get away from me. Wood you believe I've got a couple of ideas I'm working on???

Steve

Chromey

STOP!!

Although not as accurate now...when I lived in England (the 70's), the joke about the police was "STOP!! , or I will yell stop again!!". However on a recent trip @ Gatwick saw a few security personnel with MP5's. Times change.....

jttheclockman

Believe it of not Brad I was to work on something of this sort but it has to wait. It is on my to do list. I am so hoping to be able to resume shop work by the beginning of next year. If that will happen I have a lot of catching up to do. I owe Skip an awesome pen.:) Good luck with the challenge. Look forward to seeing what others come up with. Just do not take them on a plane.:biggrin:

Last edited:

BradG

Yes Chromey they're armed at airports and some other high value places, but most coppers just have tasers here and announce themselves as armed response lol....

SteveJ

Well, my offering is just about finished. Not spectacular, and not even that hard to do - just had to think a little outside the box. When do we post pictures and description?

TurtleTom

Brad, your military assessment is sheer genius.
Perhaps a macro level assessment would help: In the US Army the lieutenant's job is to put all the men into a situation where everyone is likely to die. The First Sergeant's job is to make sure enough survive to cover the lieutenant's retreat to the rear.
Sadly, this was discovered firsthand and falls under the heading of DAMHIK.
Just because it's against the law to make a zip gun doesn't mean you can't do it. My first gun was (age 8 I think) a bicycle spoke shaped like a gun. Pack the ferrule with powdered match heads and ram home a #6 bird shot. The hold a match under it while aiming it. Don't aim at anything you like.
My second zip gun (age 9) was taping 22LR shells onto the front of my bb gun. 22LR bb gun.

Last edited:

BradG

Well, my offering is just about finished. Not spectacular, and not even that hard to do - just had to think a little outside the box. When do we post pictures and description?

I figure we all post them in the show off your pen category on october 31st :) Just add 007 Pen to the title

BradG

Brad, your military assessment is sheer genius.
Perhaps a macro level assessment would help: In the US Army the lieutenant's job is to put all the men into a situation where everyone is likely to die. The First Sergeant's job is to make sure enough survive to cover the lieutenant's retreat to the rear.
Sadly, this was discovered firsthand and falls under the heading of DAMHIK.
Just because it's against the law to make a zip gun doesn't mean you can't do it. My first gun was (age 8 I think) a bicycle spoke shaped like a gun. Pack the ferrule with powdered match heads and ram home a #6 bird shot. The hold a match under it while aiming it. Don't aim at anything you like.
My second zip gun (age 9) was taping 22LR shells onto the front of my bb gun. 22LR bb gun.

lol that made me laugh.

I think with the gun issue I am avoiding it in case there would be any legal implication to the site. I don't think Jeff would like weapon building being discussed. but I do hear you :wink:

SteveJ

My Humble 007 Pen

Looks like no one else has posted their work. Mine is a simple idea of a pen with secret compartments.

The tip and the finial are threaded to allow access to the tubes. The pen is my first attempt using the Gisi method of segmenting, not perfect, but it makes a nice carry pen that people ooh and aah over. The kit is a modified slimline.

No guns, ammo or poison, but a place to include a secret message or in the finial some sort of dangerous substance....

Attachments

• 007 Pen.jpg
    007 Pen.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 007 Tip Compartment.jpg
    007 Tip Compartment.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 007 Finial Compartment.jpg
    007 Finial Compartment.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 106

iMattDaddy

Looks like no one else has posted their work. Mine is a simple idea of a pen with secret compartments.

The tip and the finial are threaded to allow access to the tubes. The pen is my first attempt using the Gisi method of segmenting, not perfect, but it makes a nice carry pen that people ooh and aah over. The kit is a modified slimline.

No guns, ammo or poison, but a place to include a secret message or in the finial some sort of dangerous substance....

Yay! You won! Haha.
I love the idea, but I'm not quite at that level yet. Still lots to learn for me, but I plan to get involved in some future challenges. Right now my challenge is putting together devices that can write.

Top Bottom