$35,000 chair... and me on my bum.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RMB

I'm almost speechless, that's an amazing chair...

http://www.sarasotarockers.com/amboynaburl.htm

I'm currently working on a rocking chair for my brother in law and his expecting wife. I've never built a single chair before, so I might be a bit overambitious. Made a prototype today, no plans, no scale drawings, just measured off of my own body and traced my butt for a seat, just got some 2X and started sketching curves on it and cutting. Supprisingly it worked, was exceedingly comfortable, and rocked nicely.

It was all going pretty well, I was rocking, comfortable, a bit proud of myself, then it broke. The skids I had hastily made out of 1/2" strandboard siding failed when I leaned too far back on them. It was an AFV moment. Anybody remember The Patriot?

Pi is the key, the heighth from butt to ground times 3.14 equals the radius of the curve for the skids. Sorry, I'm rambling now, but this has been all I've thought about for the last couple of days, and my Fiance is tired of listening to me.

Anybody else built a rocking chair? Or chairs in general?

Thanks for reading! I'll post a pic when It's done... May be a while as I'm simultaniously planning a wedding, working on a pen order, working full time, making myself a dining table, and building a boat. All while trying to get in some fishing, study, and time with my Fiance. Geez! I hardly have time for drinking anymore!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Sam Maloof originated the design and his chairs in walnut or other non burl start at $25,000 and have been going for that for years. He sells a lot more than a few too and has some of his work in some of the finest museums in the world.

About 10 years ago, one of his "prototype" chairs went for $200,000 on an auction. Of course in his case, people pay for his name on it. From people that I have met that have either met him or know him - all say he is a down to earth and friendly person.

SuperDave

This style of rocking chair is specifically designed to fit your body by adjusting the dimensions. If you have never sat in one of these rocking chairs, you would be amazed at how comfortable they are. In fact, you will forget you are sitting in a wooden rocker!

As for $35,000, given the price of these particular burls (especially for the size he used), the cutting, vacuum kiln drying, not to mention expertise at constructing a one-of-a-kind heirloom, I think the price is fair. The same style of rocking chair is being made and sold by other fine craftsmen using Walnut, Cherry, Maple, etc. and start at around $5,000. It's whatever the market will bear.

D

alamocdc

I saw this article last year and it still amazes me. And I agree that the while the price seems quite high, it is fair. He very likely has several thousand $$ just tied up in the Amboyna burl (this stuff ain't cheap!).;) And I'd love to own such a piece... I just don't think I could ever bring myself to sit in it.[:0]

Armacielli

I've built a rocker. If I did it again (and I plan to eventually) there are some things I'd do differently, but overall it isn't a bad chair for something having been designed from scratch by a Junior in high school. My components dont go together nearly as fluidly as his do, giving mine a "blocky" look. I'd love to have an idea how he made his pieces "flow" together.

sweetchair.jpg

-ignore the slightly more professionally made chair in the background-

RMB

Thats pretty good Armacielli, especially for someone so younge, not that I'm much older. Thanks for sharing. I do agree that 35k is a fair price for the burl rocker, and if I had the kind of money where I could put 35k in the budget for furniture, I'd buy it. But my current furniture budget is 50$ for some pine at Home Depot and build it myself, so...
I actually had a chance to meet Sam Maloof a while ago, and not knowing who he was back then I passed it up. A friend from work said he knew some guy who made chairs , Sam Maloof or something, I never followed up on it, doh!

EeyorIs21

I think the chair is beautiful, but me personally would have used the burl for something else a little smaller so it would go further. Personally I think the fine detail of the burl gets lost in such a large piece. I would put it in something smaller like a turned vessel, platter, vase, etc.

M

monkeynutz

I had the good fortune to see the burl rocker, up close and personal. It is an amazing piece, and pictures do not do it justice. Personally, I've got better things to do with my money than spend $35K on a chair, but some (much richer) folks wouldn't think twice about adding this beautiful conversation piece to the furnishings in one of their houses.

bbqncigars

That not only looks good, but looks comfortable too. I could picture myself in it, enjoying a good cigar and a single malt scotch whilst listening to music in front of a nice fire on a cold winter night. For now, it's just a chair, a beer and a candle. *sigh*

Wayne

Aderhammer

That's like a good friend of mine is a taxidermist. He has a friend from Potter County, PA that supplies curly maple for different instrument makers such as Martin Guitars. Bob said the guy's house is decked out floor to ceiling in curly tiger maple.

RMB

Originally posted by bbqncigars

That not only looks good, but looks comfortable too. I could picture myself in it, enjoying a good cigar and a single malt scotch whilst listening to music in front of a nice fire on a cold winter night. For now, it's just a chair, a beer and a candle. *sigh*

Wayne

I'm in the same boat man. But hey, I'm pretty darn content.

M

monkeynutz

IMHO, a nice cold beer doesn't have to take a back seat to anything.

KC

Originally posted by Armacielli

I've built a rocker. If I did it again (and I plan to eventually) there are some things I'd do differently, but overall it isn't a bad chair for something having been designed from scratch by a Junior in high school. My components dont go together nearly as fluidly as his do, giving mine a "blocky" look. I'd love to have an idea how he made his pieces "flow" together.

sweetchair.jpg

-ignore the slightly more professionally made chair in the background-
The Amboyna chair is of the Hal Taylor style, which is basically the Maloof style with thin back splats (Maloof splats are much thicker). Hal Taylor sells extremely detailed plans for his chair, complete with templates for three standard sizes. Check his website for info. I bought the plans three or four years ago and STILL haven't built one. But I did start on my templates... three or four years ago. ;)

leehljp

Member Liaison
Originally posted by KC
The Amboyna chair is of the Hal Taylor style, which is basically the Maloof style with thin back splats (Maloof splats are much thicker). Hal Taylor sells extremely detailed plans for his chair, complete with templates for three standard sizes. Check his website for info. I bought the plans three or four years ago and STILL haven't built one. But I did start on my templates... three or four years ago. ;)

Thanks KC for this information. I will never be able to afford a Sam Maloof or Hal Taylor but I can make one. When I retire in about 3 years, I have about a half a dozen projects and building a rocking chair is one of them. I have detailed pictures of the chairs but no plans. I will check out the plans.

Top Bottom