"Gel'in" like a Felon!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangar

Hello all,

As many of you know, I often get to see the not so softer side of life and how criminals tend to engineer and think outside of the box. A current recurring trend in the world of the criminal element has become what we know as check fraud.

So how does this apply to pens? Why do we care? Well here is why... People often speak of different refills for pens... which is the best? which writes the best? etc. But is there a "Safer" refill? I sell quite a few parker style Gel refills in many pens that I make.

So is there something that many well informed pen users know that we might not?

The short answer pertains to check washing. A subject will go to your unlocked mailbox, or somehow come into unlawful possession of your check that you wrote for 25.00 to your local wallyworld, ultility company, or Uncle Margaret (A whole different story about Uncle Margaret). Mopes (Read Badguys) have figured out a way to wash these checks in a simple solution (Available on the internet) that will allow them to remove all written ink from the check EXCEPT FOR THE MICR INK (Magnetic Ink Character Recognition). That means that the ink built into the check, or MICR ink, is not even phased by the solution. They now have a blank check of yours that they can make out to themselves or a ficticious name, at any amount they think will clear your bank account.

GEL INK DOES NOT WASH OUT IN THE SOLUTION. What these mopes will actually do is trace your signature with a gel ink prior to washing your check. Wash it! Bingo. Now a blank signed check... Gellin like a Felon...

If you mail out checks, Gel ink might not be a bad idea. I speak on these topics monthly to various State related agencies, and I can tell you there are many people in every meeting that have been victims of this.

Just another reason to offer Gel ink.

Thanks for listening.

Cheers,

Fangar.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

That and the crummy transmissions are two very good reasons not make any more pens that use Cross refills.

BTW, what about fountain pen and rollerball ink?

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Noodlers Ink makes a couple of permanent inks that have defied all attempts at removing them... in fact they have a $2000 reward for anyone who used those inks that can remove the ink, change the check without destroying the check in the process... They call them Bulletproof inks
Good news for those of us who use fountain pens...
You can see it all here on their website...
http://www.noodlersink.com/

They make some amazing ink... I love their product and they have some great colors..
BTW, for those of you who work outside in the Arctic.. they even make a Polar ink that will write in sub-zero temps... I don't know why.. but they make it...

jckossoy

But you could also use a check making program like versa-check and use regular black ink. It doesn't scan in the systems, but the check is just as valid.

Kol Tov,

bjackman

Originally posted by jckossoy
<br />But you could also use a check making program like versa-check and use regular black ink. It doesn't scan in the systems, but the check is just as valid.

Kol Tov,

Just a suggestion if you're going to do this, to check with YOUR bank/financial institution first. Some charge a buck or two to clear any checks you create that are not MICR compatible. My credit union doesnt [:D]

Fangar

Originally posted by jckossoy
<br />But you could also use a check making program like versa-check and use regular black ink. It doesn't scan in the systems, but the check is just as valid.

Kol Tov,

Jeff,

You mentioned another method used by these guys. Gel won't help you here. This does however, take a little higher level of sophistication. But you are correct. A bad guy can purchase a program (Versa check is one) at most local office shops and be up and running.

Fangar

TomServo

I did some lookings about, and apparently the noodler's blue-black is unique; when you try to remove it, the blue comes out leaving a slightly lighter black (than the straight black). The luxury blue looks great - it's even slightly UV reactive so it looks blue under any light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom