"All Screwed Up!" The Book

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ldimick

I was looking through the Craft Supplies catalog tonight and came across a section of books. One of them was "ALL SCREWED UP! Turned puzzles and boxes featuring chased threads" I figured I had to have it since I can't find any real information on chasing threads on the web.

So, being the California that I have become, I sought instant gratification - from Barnes and Noble. The local store had it in stock and they reserved it for me. So with nothing better to do at 10:05 tonight I hopped in the car and drove the 3 miles to pick it up.

I can't recall ever being so disappointed in a book before. The entire section on chasing threads took up less than 3 pages and was completely worthless.:(

I did find a web site that rents the DVD for $10 per week by Allan Batty on chasing threads so I rented that. Hopefully I will learn something about chasing threads from it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Darley

Originally posted by ldimick
<br />I was looking through the Craft Supplies catalog tonight and came across a section of books. One of them was "ALL SCREWED UP! Turned puzzles and boxes featuring chased threads" I figured I had to have it since I can't find any real information on chasing threads on the web.

So, being the California that I have become, I sought instant gratification - from Barnes and Noble. The local store had it in stock and they reserved it for me. So with nothing better to do at 10:05 tonight I hopped in the car and drove the 3 miles to pick it up.

I can't recall ever being so disappointed in a book before. The entire section on chasing threads took up less than 3 pages and was completely worthless.[:(!]

I did find a web site that rents the DVD for $10 per week by Allan Batty on chasing threads so I rented that. Hopefully I will learn something about chasing threads from it.
return the book and ask a refund you may learn more on DVD

rtparso

There was a show on DIY (maybe) and he used a machine with a rotary (dremel) cutter to cut inside and outside threads on a lidded box. Looked like it cost a few bucks though.

ldimick

Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />What book did the first guy who ever chase threads use?

That's a good question and one that you seem to enjoy posting. I know that you are loathe to share information without encouraging others to figure it our for themselves.

Which is fine.

I have no problem acknowledging that I don't know how to do something. I will not waste my time trying to invent a wheel that has already been invented. I also have no problem with taking a proven method and looking for a better way to acoomplish the task.

If my goal is to get to the top of a mountain why should I bypass the trail if the tram gets me higher and closer to my goal?

Scott

Hi Lynn,

I am interested in thread chasing as well. I've done a little research, and there are a couple of places on the internet that have some instructions. Look for stuff by Fred Holder, Alan Batty or Bill Jones. If you want a book on the subject, the really good ones are the out of print ones by Bill Jones. There's a video and a pamphlet by Alan Batty you can get with chasing tools from either Crown or Sorby. Fred Holder has a book on the subject, and it is available from Amazon. Also, Fred is pretty accessable. He reads the turning forums over at Wood Central, and I could give you his E-Mail address if you want to contact him. He has some good ideas on where to get good chasing tools as well as cheap ones. Fred Holder is the publisher of More Woodturning magazine. If this doesn't get you started, drop me an E-Mail and I'll give you some more specific links and such.

Scott.

ldimick

Thanks Scott.

I rented the Batty DVD and I am just waiting for it to get here.

The one bit of useful information that came from the book is that Craft USA sells the chaser so I will have a place to get one from when I get to that point.

I'll have to track Fred down. I just don't feel like it would be fair to him right now. I couldn't give his instructions the kind of attention that his time would deserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom