Yosegi - Japanese Marquetry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ajollydds

I would love to see a sheet of that veneer tube cast. Would make for an amazing pen. Thanks for sharing.

jttheclockman

There are hundreds of these type videos on utube that you can spend alot of time watching if you are into this segmenting.

What i took away from this video besides the obvious and the missing digits on his hands, probably from learning this craft and all the small pieces he deals with, is the precision of cuts with the use of crude tools. He shows many jigs for this kind of work which probably took just as much time to make those as it does to create masterpieces.

Also as with the previous videos referenced here, I would love to know the formula of the glue he uses to be able to be that strong and yet still be flexible enough to be cut that thin and still have good adhesion.

His use of shooting boards is such a lost art and jig used in woodworking overseas in many countries. I first got introduced to them was back in the early 80's when I was working on a construction project in NY. It was a huge bank and the owner of the bank was a wealthy person and had 3 top floors of this 23 floor bank. His office / home was being reconstructed from wood and materials from an old castle in England. This castle was being dismantled and he had a group of carpenters use those materials to build his office. He had those same carpenters reassemble things here and I got to work along side them doing the security work and electrical work. I was so interested in their techniques of woodworking which was alot of hand work that I asked so many questions. I then saw them using various sized and angled shooting boards that it stuck in m y mind and I use them to this day. Funny how, and where we pick up knowledge that sticks with us over our years.

I can watch these videos all day and over and over. :):)

dogcatcher

It has been almost 50 years ago, but I visited one of those type shops after I got out of the hospital after being air lifted to Japan. When I was in the Army hospital while recuperating from being wounded I met a Japanese woodworker, and was invited to one of his relatives shop for a visit. Notice the jigs he used, they know the system of making jigs and using them a million times to save time and money.

Top Bottom