Yellow brick road pen- Advice needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodyoureally

I have a client who has requested a yellow brick road pen. I have seen the tutorials on how to make the segmented pens and have the tools and skill necessary to make those blanks. I do have a few questions though. Hoping someone can assist me.

I am thinking of using a solid yellow acrylic blank as the main building block. Are there any differences in making this type of segmented blank in acrylic rather than the more common wood that I should watch out for?

Any segmenting I have done I have used aluminum flashing for the segmentations. I am thinking the segments on this piece should be a grey. Any ideas on what type of material to use for the "grout lines"? I am thinking maybe the pick guard material.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

knowltoh

Neat idea. I may have to try that myself----daughters would love it! I have done brick patterns in wood, acrylic, and corian. All have worked fine. Personally, i would probably just go with black for the mortar.

jttheclockman

I have a client who has requested a yellow brick road pen. I have seen the tutorials on how to make the segmented pens and have the tools and skill necessary to make those blanks. I do have a few questions though. Hoping someone can assist me.

I am thinking of using a solid yellow acrylic blank as the main building block. Are there any differences in making this type of segmented blank in acrylic rather than the more common wood that I should watch out for?

Any segmenting I have done I have used aluminum flashing for the segmentations. I am thinking the segments on this piece should be a grey. Any ideas on what type of material to use for the "grout lines"? I am thinking maybe the pick guard material.

I would use black to make it stand out more. Nothing different using acrylics except you need a method to cut them cleanly. Nice sharp blade.

To me if I were to make a pen like this and it being a custom pen (I know you need to make 10) but i would have done a watch face (wizard of oz) in the cap and then the brick road on the barrel. Would be a $250 +++ pen though. Good luck.

woodyoureally

It is going to be between 7 and 10 pens. I am definitely doing the segmenting for them. That is how I sold it to the client. I figure once I get the saws set up properly I can just do an assembly line. Have my kids act as clamps once I run out. :)

Last edited:

jfoh

Look at the Polychromatic Segmented Pen tutorial in the library. Should be able to modify that into a nice brick pattern. There are two ways I make four brick patterns, one with equal size bricks and one with different size bricks. One uses four laminated wood segments for equal size bricks. I use three layered segments to make a Flemish Bond design that looks great. You get two long bricks and two short bricks. Do a quick search to see a Flemish Bond Wall .

For a brick pen with a four bricks pen per segment layer with two long and two narrow bricks try this. I use three 1-1/8" wide segments of any lengthen you want to work with. Glue segments on top and bottom with spacers, ( dyed veneer), between the top, center and bottom segments. It looks like a sandwich from end view with veneer in between the three layers. When turned, I get what looks like four bricks with the veneer as grout. If I make the thickness of the center segment a third or fourth of the final pen barrel size you get a pattern of two long bricks and two narrow end on bricks. Works well for barrels with little taper but not for one with a lot of taper.

Segment thickness is dictated by pen barrel diameter. If you are shooting for a pen barrel with a diameter of .75" I use a .20-25" thick center strip segment glued to two .45" outer segments. You have to allow for and adjust for the veneer thickness. Looking for a final blank that is square. If you get a 1 1/8" X 1 1/4" blank just run if through the thickness sander/planer/table saw to get it square. Be sure to take a little off both sides. Made that mistake once and ended up with a blank that had to be re-trimmed to get square and pattern centered.

Dyed black or grey veneer works for the joints and is cheap. Put one piece of veneer in between each long segment when gluing them up. Then drill the blank. Cut the segments to thickness of your bricks. Cut the veneer into squares. Drill the veneer spacers for the horizontal grout lines. Stack them like sheets of paper and drill them on the drill press. I then put the blanks on a long, (10") brass tube of the proper diameter. Alternate brick, veneer and brick segments. Turn the segments by hand to proper alignment and tack with thin CA. I put pressure on the segments to make the grout lines as thin as possible. I cheat by using a piece of UMHVW plastic with a hole in it to hold the assembly. Then clamp to force everything together. Thin CA to tack, remove the brass tube and flood the inside hole. Might need to re-drill the hole when the CA cures. If you want to make a lot of them just keep stacking them into as many blanks as you want. If you are sloppy you will glue your blanks to your tube but that is no a big problem. Just cut it to size and turn it into a pen. Flood often with thin CA to make sure the segment don't blow up.

Now if you are set to use acrylic then you need to watch the thickness of pick guard. At .060 or .090 your grout will be rather thick. I would look for something thinner if possible. .040-.050" maybe. It is all about the proportions of grout seams to brick size. Get it too thin and it might disappear or worse get it too thick and have the grout over power the brick pattern. You might think about ripping your own acrylic spaces from a block of black acrylic. Should be easy to have someone here cast a large block of black acrylic for you. Then rip or on your table saw or cut it into thin strips on a band saw. But you are looking at two thirds waste. Might be able to find a thin acrylic sheet from a vender off the internet. Anything under a 1/16" should work.

You might look at yellow dyed, stabilized woods for your bricks. Then they would work with the dyed veneer for grout. Build a prototype of a couple different designs and see what works best.

Joey-Nieves

While reading this post I remembered that there is something similar in the library http://content.penturners.org/library/pen_blanks/osbornesegpen.pdf
I think that you can combine Jon's method with this article and come up with a simple way.
When I'm in a hurry I glue 4 strips of wood together(different colors) into a 3/4 inch blank, Drill it to the proper tube size, Slice into 1/8" or 3/16" and mount them on the tube with CA or Black CA while off-setting each layer. Not as elegant as these other methods but it looks great.

As for your design IF your looking for a Yellow brick road then you should you use to different type of bricks, one could be green, to symbolize the grass or a harsher color to make it look like a path out of adversary, and yellow, obviously, as the road to follow. You will need a bit of planning to do, but if you look at the picture in the tutorial, he already has a yellow segment.
Anyway good luck and please post a picture of the Pen to see how it came out.
Joey
http://content.penturners.org/library/pen_blanks/osbornesegpen.pdf

firewhatfire

My initial reason for not choosing acrylic being the possibility of chipouts on all 4 corners of each blank(alot of repair or replace). then add while turning the same possibility. 2nd would be the over all cost of acrylic blanks estimate $3 each and need 4-8 blanks per pen depending on what pen you make. 10 pens equals $120-$240 in blanks. Add another $30ish for brick material.

I can buy a 3/4 in thick by 4 inch wide and 48 inch length yellowheart board at woodcraft for $27 .

that's why I wold choose one over the other, I am sure others would do it the same as you are thinking.

Thanks for asking,

Phil

farmer

Yellow

What about using yellow heart wood

Sorry didn't read the post above mine

Last edited:

alphageek

Former Moderator
I would recommend a yellow wood over acrylic as well. In addition to the issue with chip out (may not be an issue depending on how you cut the blank) there is one additional thought...

The slices of the "bricks" are going to be relatively thin and have dark "line" material surrounding it. Unless you use a pretty SOLID colored bright yellow, its your going to have problems with the color. (think how you have to oftern paint tubes on lighter colors to stop the tube from showing).

That being said, I think it would be REALLY cool to try one in acrylic... I'm just not sure that I'd want to try it when you have up to 10 pens to make!

Top Bottom