Workbench minions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Krash

My little helpers ...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 327
I think you are finding out how fun it is to experiment. The hardest part for me was drilling. That is where you need very sharp drills. No brad point drills.... I use just twist drills and sharpen often. Do a little and wait do a little and wait. I never tried any of the popsicles stick or wrapping with string. I would figure out the center, turn between centers to knock off the edges then that would establish the center of the blank so when I drilled on the lathe things were just at center. Hope this helps you out. Don't give up either...

SteveG

Speaking of drilling when segments with metal pieces are involved: I have found that if I can visualize how the bit will "bite" or slice unto the thin metal, then reposition the blank (end to end) if need be to achieve a less aggressive entry into the metal, I have better success. Less chance the drill bit grabbing the metal.

Krash

Oh definitely Mike!

I find myself visualizing new ideas (to me I find out later) and new concepts. I have a really cool one formulating in my mind now that I want to start developing to see if what I am thinking will play out in wood. This is the fun part for me.

I put a finish on my practice pen that was segmented bad then drilled off center. The group here says to save it so I can look at it in a year to see how far I've come. I don't have a pen set to put in it right now else I would post it. Maybe tomorrow. It is an attractive pen but the execution stinks. (What is attractive is what God put into it, the wood. What stinks is what I put into it!). I did learn a lot and hopefully it will translate into some quality work in the future.

Those little minions are the bottom half of a matched pen/pencil pair with a striped ebony top that I wanted for work. I think if I can get them drilled successfully, I will be home free. I am doing the drilling on my lathe now. You can see the center punched on the top of the minion's noggin. I wanted so much to dive right in and drill tonite but I thought it would be better to wait a couple days to make sure everything was set.

I want to thank you for your website and inspirational pens. They urge me on to try new things. You have a great knack for doing just enough to make them interesting but not so much as to be distracting. Artistic eye it's called. I want to do the same. It is so much easier to just go crazy and do segmenting gymnastics, but that doesn't appeal to me. Good woodworking, just not appealing. The winner of the Fairfield this year is a perfect example.

Sorry to be so long winded.

Kelly

Top Bottom