What is your two favorite timbers?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Was curious to find out what the two favorite types of timber to be mated to one another are here?

Example....Yellow Cedar/Eastern Red Cedar

Scalloped, simple straight pieces...doesn't matter! What do you like to put together.....give me some ideas!!!!!

Scott (have some fun with it) B

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

My favorite is using these guitar neck scraps that already have some pretty combos of maple/koa & maple/walnut.It's fun to cut the thin ones up,and try gluing up different combos to get a pattern.

Lately,I like gluing in some flat pieces of Ebony in between,for a real contrast.

Steve

BSea

I'm thinking of doing a maple, redheart, & African Blackwood pen. Also, paduk, & African Blackwood. Maple redheart look good together too.

Something more common to use for Blackwood might be Walnut.

I did a Blackwood & red heart pen. It wasn't as dramatic as I'd hoped. If you do that, be sure to use some thin aluminum to separate the segments.

Last edited:

walshjp17

At the moment it is IBO* with accents of Cherry and Holly - imagine a freshly poured glass of Guinness. Mmmmmm, Guinness.:hypnotized:

* Irish Bog Oak

Russknan

+1 on the holly and African blackwood. I've made a number of wedding sets using Designer kits. Holly over bw on one, then bw over holly for the other. Bride & groom effect. Russ

plantman

My two favorits woods are softwood and hardwood!! Any dark wood with ivory or holly rings. any lighter woods with ebony accents. Never found a wood I didn't like, except **** elm. Jim S

Top Bottom