Variation segmenting.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Ok so in this blank all I did was to make one 45 degree angle be 90 degrees off the other. It is the same construction as the first otherwise. I am not as happy with the wood selection I would not use wenge with thuya again but you get the idea.about what it will look like.

il_570xN.443296555_10he.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

healeydays

Hi Mike,

I like the angles and see where you were going with the piece. I also agree with you that the wood choices are definitely unique, but you never know that someone might fall in love with it, and order another dozen...

Mike B

Sorry, not ordering. But I for one think the woods look great together. So dose the total pen. Thanks for posting. Real good insperation. You are going to make me try my first segmented pen. Keep having fun. I know any one making any thing that pretty 'is' having fun.

flyitfast

I agree, the woods look very comfortable with each other. Great pen.
You have inspired me to try similar segmenting on a pen. Haven't had much luck in the past, but your tutorial looks doable, even for me. :)
gordon

PaulDoug

To me it is a nice contrast of color, but the grains in the woods are competing with each other. I like the segmenting. I wonder how it would look with a synthetic material like alternate ivory.

Penl8the

The 90 deg and 45 deg really compliment each other. They show moment and stability at the same time. What I mean is the pen seem to "point down toward the nib which I like" but it is not top heavy as in making the whole thing tipping over.

I like it a lot.

Last edited:

EagleTa2

Hi mike

I really liked your variation but I just can't seem to wrap my head around how you did it.

I'm very new to segmenting and have only done a Celtic pen and a lamp wit a Celtic knot.
The first post seemed relatively easy because the center piece of wood was a square...

With your design, my simplistic mind just can't vision it.

Any chance you could post a pic or drawing of making the blank?

Both the original pen and your variation have inspired me to take up segmenting...

Thanks in advance

Geo

jttheclockman

Hi mike

I really liked your variation but I just can't seem to wrap my head around how you did it.

I'm very new to segmenting and have only done a Celtic pen and a lamp wit a Celtic knot.
The first post seemed relatively easy because the center piece of wood was a square...

Both the original pen and your variation have inspired me to take up segmenting...

Thanks in advance

Geo

This stuff is not new but I am glad to see it resurfacing again. Here is a posting that Wiset1 did some time ago that may be of some help. Good luck.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f56/steps-i-use-scalloping-*long*-89931/

Hi mike

Thanks in advance

Geo

This stuff is not new but I am glad to see it resurfacing again. Here is a posting that Wiset1 did some time ago that may be of some help. Good luck.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f56/steps-i-use-scalloping-*long*-89931/

That post is what inspired me to do this. It was a great post and showed enough to get me started. This is what gave me the idea to turn the form 90 degrees to get the scallops right.

Top Bottom