tubular segmenting advice sought

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikebpeters

Hi, I'm trying a bit of a variation on some of the cool work I have seen. Things aren't nearly as tight as they would need to be to make this a sale pen so it will be an experimental one only.

As you can see I have inserted pieces of aluminum tube into the lower barrel of a Jr Gent.

20130426_174546_zps5b1e518f.jpg
[/URL]

20130426_174554_zps621c810f.jpg
[/URL

How do you think I should/could finish these up?

I see a number of potential options.

Do nothing - leave them open to the brass tube below - clean them up of course, but that is all.

Fill with pieces of complimentary wooden dowelling

Fill with pieces of identical verawood

Fill with colored epoxy

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

Interesting concept. Some thoughts:

• Tagua Nuts
  • CA on the bottom with colored stone chips
  • Clear epoxy with initials or a small design at the bottom

Janster

What the heck! IF you are not selling it, I would go the a craft store and buy "Doll Eyes" in the appropriate size and use those!..? It would definitley be a first!... Be well................Jan

Last edited:

NittanyLion

Nice job. I always get that "look" from the guy at the key machine when asking for the shavings......it helps to carry one of your pens when you explain it.

Dale Parrott

Mike,

I get brass shavings from lowes at the key cutting machine. They always give it to me for free. It can be held in place with CA. I've done a few crosses this way. Should look good on your blank.

Just thought I would add to this my experience. While picking up some supplies today at my local Lowe's I heard the key machine grinding away.:biggrin:

I waited for the line to go away and then talked to the associate about getting some of the filings or "dust " as he called it. Bottom line is after 2 phone calls to management and he kindly let me know the "dust" was toxic and it must be discarded in the trash. :confused:
I'm thinking my local hardware store maybe a better option at least where I live.
Dale

Top Bottom