Trying my hand at curved metal segmenting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Spiderman

When I first started turning a few months ago, I came across an article in the Library by David Washburn A.K.A "djwood1" about curved metal segmenting. I really wanted to try something like this so followed the tutorial and came up with my first crack at segmenting.

DSC02272.jpg

My next try was after reading about scallops and thought I would add the two lessons together for my entry into the Beginner's Pen competition for this year's Bash. I used Ebony and brass and flipped the Ebony over to end grain for the scallops.

DSC02329.JPG

I then tried black Ebony and a white pearl acrylic on a Majestic. The aluminum is some left over roof flashing that I had been saving in the shed for years.

Majestic Ebony Aluminum Acrylic 1.jpg

For my latest effort, I dropped the scallops but doubled up on the curved metal segments.

Majestic Jr in Ebony & Aluminum 2.jpg

This stuff is fun!!

Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

Very dynamic work! You've got a great collection of work here with an amazing understanding of the segmenting/scalloping process. Keep them coming

Spiderman

Thanks Tom. The first tutorial I read was David's, the second was yours. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and inspiring beginners like myself.

Mike

Freethinker

Wow........every one of those pens is a winner.

The word that comes to mind for me is -- classy. Great work.

Did you go straight from the skew to finishing? Are they done with a CA finish?

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I had to coax Dave into writing up that tutorial, and he did a great job of it. You've made fine examples of what can result from segmenting. Nice work!

plantman

Mike; You seem to be a fast study, and an excellent pen maker for just starting not to long ago. Exquisite craftsmanship. Your photos are sharp and clear, but the coral takes the eye away from the pen itself. Just my $.02 worth. Congrats on the finish in the contes. Can,t wait to see what you take on next. Jim S

Spiderman

Thanks to all for your comments. Both the scallop and bent metal segmenting are so much fun to do and one design leads to another and then another. I have so many bouncing around in my head, can't wait to get back to the shop...

Dan, all these have been finished with a CA finish down to 12,000 MM. Despite having my skew sharp enough to cut my fingers, (DAMHIKT) I would put it away once I got close (sometimes not so close) to final dimension. It seems that these little guys have a tendency to blow up in your face when you push your luck too much. Many hours were spent re-making the blanks or on my hands and knees looking for tiny parts. The saving grace for most of these was that I was using Ebony and the fine pieces of aluminum wouldn't muck up the blank so much. I discovered the bleed over problem while working on the one that I used a white acrylic for the scallops. I switched back to the skew for that one but the Pucker Factor was way off the charts.

Thank you for your advice on the photos, Jim. I had used the coral because there were so many hooks and branches on it that you could position the pen pretty much any way you like. Might have to rethink that...

Chuck, I can't tell you how grateful I am that you were able to talk David into doing that tutorial. Step by step instructions with lots of pictures and explanations, a fantastic piece of work.

Thanks again to all who looked, commented and encouraged.

Mike

Jim Burr

Banned
Beautiful Mike!! I did a lot of these last year and they are really easy to do!!! You really have this down!

BSea

Those are all great pens. When I got to the 3rd one, I thought "This is definitely my favorite". But then that last pen was even better. And great work on finishing that ebony. That isn't easy getting a flawless finish on ebony, but you sure did.

B Wo

Wow! Those pens are fancypants; they are really, really cool.

I've looked at the segmenting tutorials in the library, as well, and I've been chomping at the bit to try my hand at a proper pen. So far I've made a moderately successful mini-stylus out of cut-offs and aluminum cookie-cutter strips.

These give me hope for bigger and [much] better projects :)

Top Bottom