TruStone Broadwell Segment and Questions/Techniques

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kadynr6

thank you for the great response on my last post!

i made this Broadwell neavoux roller ball with TruStone and 1/8 aluminum and i thought everything was going fantastically! until i got down to the center, where it appears there was a large tearout during drilling? and what looks to be a heat crack on the lower tube. (both fixed as best as i could) please see pictures. luckily the CA had filled it during glue up. has anyone had this issue or know how to fix it?

Attachments

• 20140308_131904.jpg
    20140308_131904.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 270
  • 20140308_132145.jpg
    20140308_132145.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 307
  • 20140308_132327.jpg
    20140308_132327.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 286
One of the major things I have noticed with most of my blowups was that glue coverage where the blowup occurs is usually flawed. I have not see as many blown up blanks since I stopped using CA to glue tubes in place. I use Poly glues for this purpose. Some don't like poly because of the foaming when it cures but I like it for just that reason. It works itself into all of the places between the blank and tube. I have had far less blowups since using it. The glue between the tube and the blank is vital in the strength of the segmented blank during turning in my opinion.

Hendu3270

I had issues drilling cleanly through 1/8" aluminum when I've used it. Once I turned down to size, I was able to see it wasn't always a clean hole through the aluminum. I believe it was an issue with me not drilling slow enough and also putting too much pressure on the press. I only drill on the lathe now and ALWAYS use very light pressure and stop and take breaks often, so it doesn't get hot enough for the CA to start releasing. Just remember....heat is your enemy, when it comes to drilling blanks. I've never used epoxy for tubes, but I'm suspecting heat is not as big of a deal with it.

One quick thing on the Nouveau kit. The bushings for that kit, for some reason, are sized for the actual end cap and not the ring for the clip. If you turn to the bushing, you'll have the ring of the clip protruding out father than your blank. I measure with clalipers on this kit so the cap blank makes a smooth transition to the hardware. :wink:

Oh, and in your middle photo above. That has nothing to do with what kind of glue you used for the tubes. Like you said, it was during drilling. I think it was a small defect with the trustone that you were just unable to see since it was on the inside of the hole. You can see that the actual break follows the little black design in the material all the way around. You're probably lucky it didn't completely crumble while drilling...

Last edited:
Top Bottom