trim rings on a lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

farmer

Please note that the slots were cut all the way through the wood.
I would cut a slot then glue in the veneer's and repeat process .
The whole in the center need to be re drilled .
I PUT HOSE CLAMPS ON , then sprayer accelerator in side the hole and drilled the hole out extremely carefully.
The glue being drilled out split the fluted wooden tube.
Be careful to only drill out a inch then part off a few rings and drill out another inch.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

Thanks for posting pics. Very nice technique and you clearly show some of the wonderful works that you create. May use your technique for a project in mind and I appreciate that which you have shared.

farmer

Indexer

Sorry I failed to mention that I have a 24 position indexer built in my spindle.
Without a some kind of indexer you will have a tough time getting the spacing even between the slots.
Large bore headstock

Last edited:

wood-of-1kind

Sorry I failed to mention that I have a 24 position indexer built in my spindle.
Without a some kind of indexer you will have a tough time getting the spacing even between the slots.
Large bore headstock

I was thinking of adding veneer slices in between long triangular pieces to create a 'round' blank. I do not have an indexer but thinking of an alternate way of trying to emulate a similar design that you have kindly shared.

Curly

I was thinking of adding veneer slices in between long triangular pieces to create a 'round' blank. I do not have an indexer but thinking of an alternate way of trying to emulate a similar design that you have kindly shared.

Not to take anything from farmers cool method but if you look in the library Penl8the has a good method of using a table saw. And one of the pens he made with the system. Once glued up rings could be parted off like farmer does.

jttheclockman

Large bore headstock

You can do the stave method as was pointed out by Pete. You can also do my method www.penturners.org/forum/f179/my-jig-104253/

but yes you need an indexer but you can easily buy add-ons for your lathe if you are really interested in this type of blank making and even it is a valuable tool for many more designs.

farmer

Large bore headstock

I have the exact same thought. Take photos. i would like to see what you come up with.

Top Bottom