Too many segments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Well I think I have maxed out what I can do with segments. I have been trying to get a pen segmented that has full scallops in both directions right on top of each other and have blows up must be 5 or so blanks in a row. I think I am going to just bring them back to what I know I can do for just a bit and stop pushing so hard it is killing my productivity. I just had one almost all turned and it completely blew up not a single segment left on the tube. It was a very complex blank too. :confused::eek:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

08K.80

Sorry to hear that Mike. Did you get any pictures before you blew them up? I would like to see what you had.

eliasbboy

Sorry to hear about the hassles, but your work on segmenting has certainly spurred some great work around here. Best of luck in whatever your next blank is and thanks for all the inspiration!

Sandy H.

I'm curious how extreme, since your others are pretty extreme to me. I wonder if its time to try another glue or some other method. Either way, I hope you can put that blank type down for a while and noodle on some other way to give it a go. Sounds interesting!!

Sandy.

MikeL

You've been a little quiet on the pen production front. I thought I heard some explosions up north. :wink:

jttheclockman

Mike I am from the school of I do not think there is a too many segmented blank. It all has to do with the design. What you are attempting is a problem because of the various angles of the metal. When you go to drill these type blanks you are drilling lengthwise into basically a sheet of metal. There is always metal that the bit drills into. Very tough to keep something like that together. The pieces of wood connecting all the metal is so small there really is no structure.

Sometimes you need to step back and look at things from a different perpective. Maybe spread the scallops out or change your approach at making them. I have mentioned this to you before. You do your scallops different than me and the tutorial that was given. Maybe you need to look at that way more to accomplish what you are after. With those type scallops they overlap and are supported better. Just some thoughts. Good luck.

Top Bottom