Thin strips

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wouldentu2?

How tall of a board?

What material?

What is the final use?

If its from pen block material, pretty thin as long it does not have to be smooth.

Jim Burr

Banned
How tall of a board?

What material?

What is the final use?

If its from pen block material, pretty thin as long it does not have to be smooth.

Yikes!!
For ChrisN as well...
I can only speak from what I use...Ellis blades, for re-saw, 3 tpi and slow speed. Had a Wood Slicer 2-3 years ago, hated it...don't ask for a recommendation. Tune your saw, should be a woodworking group in your area that has some 'ol timers...they are your best source of info on tuning a band saw...regrettably...I'm not.
Those older Delta's are great...maybe Youtube for tips?? Having a newer Griz I may be out of touch with the very usable Deltas. :good:

Kenny Durrant

I'm not sure of how your directing the question. Are you talking about the thickness of the material before or after cutting? As mentioned earlier any type of material. I'm not that handy with the tools I have but there is a person on the IAP that cut a quarter in half. I can't remember his name but he has posted pictures in the site but I'm old and can't remember where either.

robutacion

It is possible to cut paper thin wood strips on a bandsaw, appart from the blade type, the wood species would have also significant importance.

But the question is, how wide and how long, do these strips have to be...???

As a single example, if you have a board 2" thick x 10" wide and 4' long, cutting thin strips on the 2" thickness, is not a big deal but, if you want to cut thin slices from the 10" width, and there there, running the board upright on the bandsaw, those are 2 very different situations...! which one is it...??

PS: A proper bandsaw is known to have the most number of adjustment points than any other wood machine, and not everyone is qualified to to a full calibration that unfortunately may not last long, a simple change of blade can throw many things out...!

Most of those calibration/adjustments points, are something that most bandsaw users don't even know exist however, there a few of us that can pull them appart in 100 pieces, know where every piece goes and most importantly know what it does, this the very reason why we/those people can relate the problem to its origin and make the necessary adjustments however, and this should be said, some of more economical/cheap bandsaws, particularly the smaller size ones, have less adjustment points/possibilities, and its accuracy depend considerably of the quality and calibration of each of the pieces put together by the manufacturer, you can get a fairly good one and you can get one with factory faults that, you will never be able to cut straight with, and that is just a fact...!

Cheers
George

GaryMGg

I think I have a jig that will cut consistent thin strips. Cut some 1/32 and 3/64.

Hi Ace,
Was this a rhetorical question or more like a survey to find out if you have a jig of value?
I've been able to cut some very thin rips with my Laguna LT-16 and a carbide tipped resaw blade.
However, I doubt I get a sweet, consistent 1/32.
NB: If we're talking about small (say 5" rips for blanks, I probably do), I prefer the TS anyway.

So,....what'cha got???
:biggrin:

Last edited:
Top Bottom