Temporary tubes for gluing segments - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Blank Making > Segmenting
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2017, 01:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Wrap a piece of all thread or tubing with plumber's Teflon tape. Nothing will stick to it.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kester View Post
Ah yes, the dreaded skew. I have managed to not "stick" it too much but in my attempts so far, still needs sanding. However, sound advice and I'll give it more practice.

I have owned my lathe for 25 years but until about 10 pens ago, only used it once. Practice, practice, practice.
Quote:
John T:
I skip the sanding part if I am using woods that can contaminate one another. I go right from tools to finish. When you get proficient with the skew you will find it to be the best tool in the arsenal.
Like John, I skip the sanding part. Don't think of it as "if I don't sand it I will have to settle for less smooth". IN wood working, there are some high end, and I mean "HIGH end/priced" works of wood art that do not sand but use scrapers only. Sanding removes and moves the dust. Scraping removes and does not contaminate. Skipping the sanding is more mental than difficult. It is a matter of using a different technique.

Unlike John, I don't use a skew, but rather the scraper. I use my own made scraper that I can sharpen - sharper than the carbide inserts. People argue about this but I have several carbide inserts and I can get a finer cut with my scraper that I sharpen than I can with the carbide. The carbide lasts longer for rough cutting than mine. I do sharpen mine 3 or 4 times per blank. I have a piece of hardened plate glass with 4 strips of pressure sensitive sandpaper - 400- 800- 1200 - 2000 and take a swipe or two every minute or so when turning. Keeps it SHARP.

Skews, in general will do better on soft wood and scrapers in general will do better on stabilized and hard woods. Skill level comes into play also.

Here is a picture of a turned blank/pen that did NOT have any sanding done on the blank:

View in gallery

ON the upper end, those dots are silver solder and they smear on the wood like pencil lead. NO sanding will work on that. The only way is use the scraper, or if proficient, the skew. These two tools will make the wood smooth.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Last edited by leehljp; 03-23-2017 at 03:15 PM.
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-23-2017, 09:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

Gorgeous pen. I'll work at learning how to ditch the Sandpaper. I've already doubled my knowledge with the help of everything I read from everyone here.
Terry Kester is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2017, 10:11 AM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 5

You might try turning and using a rod of hdpe or Delrin plastic that is resistant to most glues.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
More4dan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-25-2017, 04:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Temporary Tubes

Terry

This is the way I make a simple segmented pen. 1st pic shows a vise that I made especially for segmenting, 2nd pic shows parts to be segmented, 3rd pic shows parts dry run assembled, 4th pic shows parts with epoxy applied and clamped up in vise, and 5 pic shows completed pen. Try this, play with it a little and I'm sure you will turn out some nice pens. Keep us posted on your progress.

Ben
Attached Thumbnails
segmented-.jpg   segmented-b.jpg   segmented-c.jpg   segmented-d.jpg   segmented-e.jpg  

BKelley is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-25-2017, 06:32 PM   #16 (permalink)

BKelley, thanks for the photos and descriptions!
Old 03-25-2017, 08:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKelley View Post
Terry

This is the way I make a simple segmented pen. 1st pic shows a vise that I made especially for segmenting, 2nd pic shows parts to be segmented, 3rd pic shows parts dry run assembled, 4th pic shows parts with epoxy applied and clamped up in vise, and 5 pic shows completed pen. Try this, play with it a little and I'm sure you will turn out some nice pens. Keep us posted on your progress.

Ben
Ben, that is plum good. That is what I need to make. I have done quite a bit of threading wood; that will be simple enough. Thanks for the post.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-18-2017, 12:50 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKelley View Post
Terry

Ben
Ah, yes....I'm liking this, a LOT. Methinks that I shall have to make one for myself . Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:44 PM   #19 (permalink)

Extremely helpful photos - thank you for taking the time to share your process.
MPVic is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-25-2017, 09:08 PM   #20 (permalink)

The plastic straw, IMHO, might melt with the heat from the bit and make a bigger mess. I built custom fishing rod grips from cork and other materials. Cork rings had a 1/4" hole. I drilled other materials 1/4" too. I put the rings in order on a piece of all-thread wrapped with teflon (plumber's) tape so the glue wouldn't stick. Pull the rod by turning a bit and then place the rough grip on the turning mandrel. Yes, I used TBIII for the grips and never had a problem. Lots of good information to get there by different routes.
Logged on members can hide ads