Tagua Nuts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Yes, but have no photos. The challenge was cutting thick veneer. Sanded off brown skin, epoxyed to wood block, cut about 1/8 thick slices on bandsaw and sanded one side flat.

There is a center void in the nut kernel so think with "x-ray vision" to try for most clear slices practical.

Have a source for bulk nuts I can probably dig up url if you want it.

You can turn the nuts allowing for void.

wood-of-1kind

I have made complete pens using tagua nuts. Was fortunate enough to be able to select the largest ones available from a basket full from Lee Valley Tools. It turns really well and is an excellent substitute for real ivory.

Woodchipper

Custom fishing rods builders use them. Look expensive when done. All over Africa, elephants are thankful for tagua nuts.

Off topic- Why don't elephants forget? They don't have anything to remember.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Yes, but have no photos. The challenge was cutting thick veneer. Sanded off brown skin, epoxyed to wood block, cut about 1/8 thick slices on bandsaw and sanded one side flat.

There is a center void in the nut kernel so think with "x-ray vision" to try for most clear slices practical.

I'd be interested in that source also.

KenV

I'd be interested in that source also.

That source (www.ivorynutpalm.com) does not appear to still be around -- got the not available message. They were still in business 6 months ago. They had several different species of ivory nuts.

One World Projects - Tagua Nuts, Slices for Tagua Carvers is still in business for large nuts but have not ordered from them for several years.

Top Bottom