Straight and true

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

oakham

Can the different angles of the segments and the addition of metal banding affect the course of the bit during drilling? If so, how do you avoid it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rolland

I drill a pilot hole first. If its an 8mm or so I use a 5/32 and drill slowly also don't extend the bit out of the chuck too far so it can wander drill a little and back out to clean the drill don't let the heat build up. Just make sure the pilot drill is a little smaller than the web of the tubing drill. Drill slow to keep the heat from effecting the glue. I never had a problem using this method but everybody has their own way of doing things. :biggrin:

plantman

This is the method I use on segmented blanks. If you add metal to the blanks, make sure you rough up both sides of the metal piece before glueing. Once your segmenting is complete, soak the entire outside of the blank with thin CA. After this has cured, wrap the blank tightly in duct tape or nylon reinforced packing tape. This will hold things together should some joint fail. Start drilling slowley with a smaller drill than the finished hole required. When you drill all the way through, soak the inside of the hole with thin CA. Do this everytime you move up in drill size including your finished size hole. This will fill in any internal cracks or voids on the inside. Run the drill through again to clean out any glue buildup in the blank. A sharp drill bit, slow easy pressure, and lift the drill often to clear chips out of the hole as you drill, should make life a little easier. Jim S

Last edited:
Top Bottom