Spalted Oak Knot - Before and After

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Krash

Jake at Albuquerque Exotic Woods cut up a rotted out old oak log. It ended up having some spalting in it. I was immediately drawn to the blanks with knots even though thinking .... uh, if oak = hard, then oak knots = iron maybe?

Not a lot of segmenting .... but just enough.

I loved how it turned out!

C & C welcome!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 878
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Krash

This oak took the CA-BLO in such a way that it appears that I stained it.
But this color is all natural folks. It's leaning up against it's sister piece of wood which shows the original color. I can't wait to turn another one!

Attached is the other side.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 290

Krash

Really nice; the grain and color is tremendous. I really like the segmenting and the replacement center band.

And, which pen kit did you start with??

Superb!

It's a slimline that I get from jake at alb exotic woods. I think it is like the funline pens from PSI.

Krash

Very nice - nice to see a wood pen. Nice to see you taking the time to make something beautiful out of a piece of wood that many would not believe deserved a second look.

Thanks Tony. That's what I love about woodworking in general and pen making specifically. You can take what other see as a nuisance and junk and make something actually stunning out of it. And not just something passable but an object of desire. Amazing!

JoeSr

Very nice. I am working on my first spalted White Oak burl and when I finish I will post a pic. The burls are beautiful pieces of wood and add in the spalt and wow. Joe

sbwertz

Something to try. When I have a piece with nice, but subtle grain, I sand it down to 400 then wipe it with a little wiping stain...color depends on the blank. I let it dry and sand it again with 400, removing ALMOST all of the stain. It will penetrate the wood in some places more than others. It will leave just a hint of color that makes it look almost like marble. I then micromesh and finish with CA/BLO.

This was a piece of mulberry, with a little chestnut stain added, then sanded off. Sorry, not one of my best pics.

_MG_2711.CR2.jpg

Last edited:

Krash

Something to try. When I have a piece with nice, but subtle grain, I sand it down to 400 then wipe it with a little wiping stain...color depends on the blank. I let it dry and sand it again with 400, removing ALMOST all of the stain. It will penetrate the wood in some places more than others. It will leave just a hint of color that makes it look almost like marble. I then micromesh and finish with CA/BLO.

This was a piece of mulberry, with a little chestnut stain added, then sanded off. Sorry, not one of my best pics.

_MG_2711.CR2.jpg

That is cool Sharon! It almost looks like stone. I'll have to give that prep a try sometime!

Top Bottom