Single tube rounded segmenting progress

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikebpeters

I continue to work on the rounded segmenting and this one worked out quite well. I turned it in short spurts to keep the heat under control and didn't have any failures in either the turning or drilling.

This one is Koa and Padauk with brass in between.

20130520_112821_zpsac956b26.jpg

20130520_112814_zpsb663dd12.jpg

Nice job on this Mike. When you are turning one of these make sure you don't get nervous toward the end of the turning process and try to finish too quickly. Unless it is your design you want to have the blank fully turned not diving to the hardware at the ends. Nice straight lines. I usually turn from the end of the blank toward the center when I am getting close to the finish then once the ends are nicely matched to the bushings I will clean out the center this may help you to fully turn the blank.

NittanyLion

Mike, nice job coming up with these ideas. I will echo Mike about diving into the blank end. I used to have this problem...and not very long ago. What solved it for me is eliminating the use of accurate bushings. I have a set or two for all the tube sizes and as long as the tube size matches, I use it. All of my bushings are severely worn and undersized, exactly what I like. I turn close to where I think I need to be, then start measuring. This has helped me get perfect fits as of late, and avoid the "buldge". If you are using CA, it's even easier....any mistake can be easily be built back up. I also always pull into the center of the blank like Mike points out.....it definitely helps cut down on blow outs as well.

This is just my way that has helped me improve, maybe it will help you too?? I enjoy looking at your pens.......think you earned a box of burl. PM me your address, I will ship you a box.

Top Bottom