Single-Sided Scallops

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Krash

I've only turned and finished 2 pens and I am hooked. I dove in deep to start segmenting and my other post shows my practice blank.

Looking at the scallops around the site, I was wondering in my crazed mind how one could do a one-sided, single scallop in the center of a blank. So, off I went in my mind to experiment.

Using the same techniques that Mike shows and explains, I added another step to get just the bottom scallop row instead of the interlocking scallops I see all over.

In the first photo, I have cut the wedge like normal scallops. But instead of splicing the aluminum and gluing the wedge back on, I cut the same wedge cut on the next side over creating a pyramid. I then glue aluminum on the 4 faces, sanding back to square after each one. You could probably do the two facing ones at the same time. This photo shows the finished aluminum-faced pyramid.

The second shows the wood being glued back on and the third photo shows the facing sides glued and squared, ready for the original wedge to be glued back on.

The forth photo shows everything back together. It should produce just the bottom scallop portion of the interlocking scallops seen elsewhere.

The next thing I'm going to try is to reverse the angle of the second cut to try and get a sine wave around the pen. Stay tuned!

Let me know what you think and if you've seen this approach before.

Kelly

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 333
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 314
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 371
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 332
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaptG

Hi Kelly,
Very nice job. Way to think and figure it out on your own. I have seen and used this approach before. A number of years ago. The point is you did it on your own with out just copying what some one else told you. I am sure you came up with other ideas while figuring this one out. You will probably expand on these and end up with yet another very cool design. keep up the good work.

Krash

Hi Kelly,
Very nice job. Way to think and figure it out on your own. I have seen and used this approach before. A number of years ago. The point is you did it on your own with out just copying what some one else told you. I am sure you came up with other ideas while figuring this one out. You will probably expand on these and end up with yet another very cool design. keep up the good work.

Maybe what Solomon said was true. There's nothing new under the sun!

But, you're right. I have a bunch more ideas brewing in my noggin that I'll bring to the segmenters once they get realized in wood. It is fun to try to visualize what varied cuts will produce. I find myself daydreaming at work thinking of new approaches. Maybe they will be as expected but maybe they will spur on something new and different .... and hopefully pleasing to the eye.

I can't wait to end up with a finished pen that is unique.

Kelly

Top Bottom