Sheet acrylic and segmenting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dr_N

I found several sheets of various colored sheet acrylic (appeared to be about 1/8 inch) in storage. Could that be used with wood for segmenting or would it turn differently than the acrylic blanks?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gtriever

Never tried it, but I would imagine that it's prone to chipout and heat. I'd take a scrap piece and try it at various lathe speeds. HTH

jttheclockman

I found several sheets of various colored sheet acrylic (appeared to be about 1/8 inch) in storage. Could that be used with wood for segmenting or would it turn differently than the acrylic blanks?

Work just fine. I do it all the time. Just be aware if translucent they will show the tube when turned down. If opaque no problem.

Last edited:

moke

+1 with John....going a little further, even if you paint the tubes, a translucent segment at a 45 looks terrible beside a dark section....it just looks "mushy". Having said that, I have used a bunch of stuff for segmenting.....but you have to be careful it is not uneven thickness, otherwise it looks wavy. I bought a couple of spools of plastic "edgebanding" It was not even in thickness, it looked awful when I "stacked" it.

tomtedesco

Work just fine. I do it all the time. Just be aware if translucent they will show the tube when turned down. If opaque no problem.

Agree

Dr_N

Agree
Great, thanks all for the feedback. Now I have a new material to try out!

magpens

Try to stick with solid colors, not translucent, as suggested above.

You could even laminate the acrylic sheet lengthwise ... you have the right thickness for that, in my opinion. You know, like the thin blue strip and the thin red stripe kind of pen blanks ?

It should work out fine for you, and will be interested in seeing pics of results.

Dr_N

Try to stick with solid colors, not translucent, as suggested above.

You could even laminate the acrylic sheet lengthwise ... you have the right thickness for that, in my opinion. You know, like the thin blue strip and the thin red stripe kind of pen blanks ?

It should work out fine for you, and will be interested in seeing pics of results.
I wondered if I could use it for that. I have a couple officer friends that would appreciate a thin blue line pen!

Top Bottom