Segments&Scallops - Metals&Materials

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rblakemore

OK, I have looked at the pictures and found some old tutorials and videos. And will attempt something more complicated than a flat segment. But, what kind of metals are used? I think that I see brass and aluminum; so how thick and where do you find these? I have seen some other thin materials. What are these? If not metal or wood, what are they and where do I find them?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kingkeyman

Brass is pretty hard. Start with aluminum, then try copper. Enjoy some success with these metals before you try brass. Aluminum flashing is excellent, pop cans are a bit thin, and the effect is not quite as stunning. Once you have some success with aluminum flatten out a copper water pipe and try that. Let the glue cure for a day or so before you drill the blank. Use a sharp bit and take it slow, don't let it get hot or you will melt the glue. Figuring it out can be frustrating, but if you keep at it it can be very satisfying.

rblakemore

Mike, I missed your post when I was looking; but, I have looked at it twice this morning. I like your technique and with your kind permission, intend to use it!! My first segment like this will probably just be a 45 degree with a metal flashing between the segments. Starting simple to build confidence and technique.

Hendu3270

I use the small aluminum, brass and copper sheets they sell at Lowes in the hardware isle. They are in one of the big pull out drawers. I didn't like the aluminum can thing. I couldn't really see one layer and it was a hassle to glue up multiples.

Comment in that thread will bring it back to the front and give others a chance to read it also. Maybe you will get a new bunch of guys going on it.

Mike, I missed your post when I was looking; but, I have looked at it twice this morning. I like your technique and with your kind permission, intend to use it!! My first segment like this will probably just be a 45 degree with a metal flashing between the segments. Starting simple to build confidence and technique.

rblakemore

How to cut the metal??

OK, I have segmenting design that I want to use. And I have a piece of brass sheet and aluminum sheet; but, how do I cut these??? Some kind metal shears will be uneven and leave the metal piece warped. Should I cut these on my table saw (with a metal blade of course)??

Krash

OK, I have segmenting design that I want to use. And I have a piece of brass sheet and aluminum sheet; but, how do I cut these??? Some kind metal shears will be uneven and leave the metal piece warped. Should I cut these on my table saw (with a metal blade of course)??

Do you have a bandsaw? That is what I use.

Hendu3270

Depends on how thick the sheets are. I've used the small sheets (can't remember how thick), from lowes that is a little thicker than the typical flashing that some use, and it cuts nicely with a pair of scissors. If it were thicker I would use some shears. If were thicker than that I'd use my bandsaw with a metal blade in it. No need to worry about super nice clean cuts though. The final smooth cuts are on the lathe.

rblakemore

Did I use the wrong material

I may have messed up, I have read that stainless or galvanized steel is a no-no, do not use; but, I had a piece of flat aluminum labeled a "Shingle Flat 62 38", I have used it (pen will be posted separately). But, I have a looked at a similar piece and it is labeled from a stainless steel company. Does anybody recognize what I used? Tough to work with; but, looks good.

flyitfast

If you do much travelling, keep the key cards you get in the hotel. Great for segmenting/enhancement. However, clean the ink off the card and don't used the raised numbers if using credit cards.
gordon

JTisher

I may have messed up, I have read that stainless or galvanized steel is a no-no, do not use; but, I had a piece of flat aluminum labeled a "Shingle Flat 62 38", I have used it (pen will be posted separately). But, I have a looked at a similar piece and it is labeled from a stainless steel company. Does anybody recognize what I used? Tough to work with; but, looks good.
Most likely it's aluminum

If a magnet sticks to it it's probably galvanized steel. I don't know why either one would be a problem since you did make the pen. All I can think of would be rust, but ca should seal it against that. The amount of zinc exposure would be so small as to be nonexistent.

Stainless on the other hand is very abrasive. It would be hard on the tools, and cause a lot of heat issues like melted glue and more melted glue.

All I can say is the pen is made (and looks good by the way) so just make sure the edge of the segment is sealed and make another.

Joe

Last edited:
Top Bottom