Segmenting Experiment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikebpeters

I had some fun with this one. Drilling defeated me after gluing so I did an end run on the whole gluing thing by drilling each individual segment, then sliding them onto the tube, dousing the whole mess practically in CA and then clamping. End result worked fine and I will try that again.

20130519_173352_zps48cccbe9.jpg

20130519_173422_zps91850b01.jpg

I wish I could remember who to give credit to for inspiring the angled segments (15, 30 and 45) but I cant remember who it was that posted a nice pen a month or so again. Anyway, wish I could claim that this idea was mine. As it is, only the implementation is all mine ;)

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Janster

Nice pen Mike. When I drill I start with 1/4", then 3/8ths and follow up w/27/64th. Takes longer = less blowouts! Be well............Jan

That thick aluminum is very hard to drill and keep things together. It gets very hot quickly. Thinner aluminum would be easier but not nearly as dramatic as far as looks. Make no mistake that would have been tough drilling for any of us!

jttheclockman

Mike Nice first attempt. As you do more and more segmented work you will learn some of the tricks. Whenever I am just stacking pieces and there is no design in the pieces such as scallops I will predrill and stack and build on the tube. Makes it much easier. In your case I am sure you discovered right away a problem even using this method. That problem was and unless You used rod form aluminum you found it difficult to drill the flat aluminum on an angle especially 45 degree. I would have used rod aluminum and drilled for tube and then cut to whatever angle needed. I also would have made witness marks to keep the angle correct. As you look at yours the angles on some of the pieces drift. You want all points in a center row. If this makes sense. Lining up that many different angle pieces is not an easy thing to do.

Not sure of your method of making your cuts. Maybe you can give us a bit of insight how you are doing this. As I said I would turn everything round and drill and then cut at desired angle.

I also would use epoxy as my choice of glues. I do not have good success with CA and gluing metal to wood. This is just my way of thinking. Hope to see more. Thanks for showing.

mikebpeters

I used a mitre saw to cut the angles on the blanks. Drilling in my drilling jig wasn't too big a hassle.

Regarding the holes in the aluminum, I had to think about that for a while and ended up drilling straight, and then holding the piece in some pliers and slipping it back on to my spinning drill bit and then angling the piece sort of reaming the angle on the fly. I test fit a bunch of times until the angle was sufficient.

I sure hear you about getting things aligned. I see my grain orientation is way off on a couple of segments, but definitely a live and learn.

Top Bottom