Segmenting Acrylic Using A Table Saw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Hi Folks:

I read the posts and it seams that some cut segments on a band saw and some on a table saw. I have a TS, and a suped-up microjig grr-ripper and thought I was locked and loaded - not quite. How does one safely cross-cut 1/4 to 1 inch acrylic segments from a 5 and 3/4 in blank or smaller?

Thank kindly.

dogrunner

you almost need to make to fit your saw you can make a sled in 20 min. look up these if you don't want to make the miter slides. Micro Jig ZP9-B2S2 ZeroPlay Guide Bar System

rblakemore

Definitely make your own jig.
I have a pen cutting jig for my TS and I have been experimenting with an addition for segments of different angles.
Check the posts in this segmenting forum, especially the next one for celtic knots, that is a good idea.
There are some older posts for jigs also. I am going to look them over and make a new jig for segments.

TonyL

I will take a look at the micro jig; I own the 200. I was just reviewing some youtubes on making my own too. Thank you.

kingkeyman

At some point you will need to make your own jigs on the fly if you want to increase your skills. The sled that you need for your current dilemma is about as basic as it gets. Quit looking for a jig, make your own, thank me later.

TonyL

All excellent advice, and you all inspired me to make my own. I did, however, purchase the microjig jig zero play system. And I do have a freud thin kirf blade (40T, but I will get the 48, and look for the super thin kirf baldes). Keep the suggestions coming! Enjoy Labor Day!

Signguy

If you don't want to make your own sled, and you want something with greater accuracy and repeatability check out the Incra sled.

SteveG

Try this bookmark

At post #10 you will see this sled by Rick Rherrel:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f30/table-saw-sled-68874/

I decided to be inspired by this design (i.e. copy it), and have assembled the parts. It is now just waiting for the next step...to DO IT!
I bought some "off the shelf" hold down clamps, as there is a limit to how far I will go in fabricating stuff that I can buy.

Last edited:

kingkeyman

Try this bookmark

At post #10 you will see this sled by Rick Rherrel:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f30/table-saw-sled-68874/

I decided to be inspired by this design (i.e. copy it), and have assembled the parts. It is now just waiting for the next step...to DO IT!
I bought some "off the shelf" hold down clamps, as there is a limit to how far I will go in fabricating stuff that I can buy.

That Herrell guy makes some pretty slick tools.

dogrunner

infinity makes a 10 inch table saw blade that's 1/16 kerf but its expensive. freud fusion think kerf excellent cut qualty .

dogrunner

the way the fusion is ground a 40 tooth is fine for acrylic.the down side to a fusion the way its ground they need to be sharpened more often

plantman

If you don't want to make your own sled, and you want something with greater accuracy and repeatability check out the Incra sled.

Tony; I have had the Incra jig system since it first came out many years ago. The accuracy and repeatability of cuts is, as Signguy said, right on. You can micro adjust to + or - the thickness of a sheet of paper or cut on the left side of a line, right side of a line, or split the line. Jim S

Rink

I didn't want to spring for a commercial one. I made my own out of scraps and it works great. PM me if you're interested and I will send you some photos. I've been able to cut segments as thin as about 1/32 or so, just for testing. I don't use segments that thin. But great to know I could!

TonyL

Special thanks to all. I incorporated your collective advice and just completed my sled ala Rick Herrell's. Very special thanks to Rick for answering well over a dozen PMs and several phone calls!

It came out great!

TonyL

LOL. I will post as soon as a finish glue/screwing the safety block on. It is same as Rick's, but his looks like a piece of furniture, mine looks like a sled. I will send soon! :-0

I also want to attach a piece of plexiglass/or firm netting over the blade to protect against flying objects.

TonyL

"My" Sled

Well, I finally got around to finishing my sled and took some pictures this morning. As you can see, my skills don't compare to rherrell's; his looks like a piece of furniture!
Special thanks to SteveG for directing me to Rick's sled, and to rherrell for picking up the phone despite seeing my number come up. I must have asked him two dozens questions...unfortunately over the course of two dozen phone calls!

I don't plan on having all of the hold downs on the jig at the same time; I just placed them there for the photos. I also have to sand off some excess wood fill where I countersunk some screws and still have to cut a 3/4 inch radius in the right wooden hold down to "grip" a round blank.

Overall, I am pleased. It cuts true and safely. I used 3/4 MDF and microjig's zeroplay guides (as recommended by another kind member). Last thing. I use a 60 tooth Freud Diablo Super Thin Kerf 10" blade.

Attachments

• A Jig Top.jpg
    A Jig Top.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 301
  • A Jig Bottom.jpg
    A Jig Bottom.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:

TonyL

Thank you. Again...Rick is the brains behind this and his looks like a piece if furniture.

ffloyd

Using a tablesaw is far more accurate than a bandsaw for doing segmented work. I have used a zero clearance insert for all tablesaw work for the last 15 years. The Freud Diablo blade is 1/16 thick, thus producing a very thin kerf. I use a Forrest blade stiffener along with it which makes a very "wobble-free" cut. I am able to cut 1/8" slices either crosscut or ripping. I use an extension on the miter gauge when cutting slices . A sled essentially is a piece of wood with a runner for the miter slot and a fence that is 90 degrees to the blade. When doing thin rips like 3/32 wide, I use a sacrificial push block that holds the work piece down and keeps my fingers well away from the blade.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
It's easy to make your own sled. Besides you could save a bunch of money.

Attachments

• sled.jpg
    sled.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 210

chrisj8221

tonyl and all - great work and thanks for sharing the photos. I may just decide to tackle that one of these days as I am interested in trying out segumenting sometime soon.

cj

Charlie_W

Tony,
I saw in another thread some time ago that someone was using a vacuum nozzle with a piece of pantyhose stretched over it right next to the blade to catch the little sliver of a segment slice so it doesn't go flying or get scored by the blade!
Sounded like a brilliant idea! You could clamp the hose / nozzle to the sled so it would hold itself in the right spot.

Top Bottom