Segmented spacers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Good morning everyone. I have been using aluminum for spacers between my resin and wood. My question is what does everyone use for the colored pieces? I have seen several scalloped pens with white and black spacers between the wood and resin and would like to know what everyone is using.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Pick guard for guitars. Some of it matches the thin kerf blades for 10" blades. I got mine from Grizzly but they seem to be dropping those products. Some Luthier supplies have it. Some call it scratch guard. You can also find it on Amazon and eBay.

Remember to match the size to the blade kerf you are using. You can use a 7 1/4" thin kerf skillsaw blade in your table saw for thinner materials.

jttheclockman

No need to match kerf unless you are doing a partial cut through such as a celtic knot. You can use pickguard material as was mentioned and I get mine here.
www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Pickguard_Materials/
Amazon and other places carry this material. here is my warning about that stuff, not true for same thickness. What I mean even though you get say 3 ply stuff, white and black, one of the outer sides will not be the same thickness as the other side. This is due to sanding to get to the correct thickness and in guitar making this is not a concern. What we adapted to use it for it can show. Some vendors are better than others when it comes to that.

What I have gone to is thin acrylic sheets or thin wood veneers. Many times I make my own because I can sand to any thickness I want. I have a 16/32 Performax drum sander. But you can also get these from billiard cue suppliers. I use
Pool Cue Veneer, Dyed Veneer, Colored Veneer, Marquetry Veneer

Atlas Billiard Supplies - Inlay Materials

I use epoxy all the time when glueing segments.

Mr Vic

I rough them up a bit just like a brass tube and you can use CA. Never tried epoxy but imagine it would work as well

RyanS

Lots of good ideas here. I've made some pretty crude attempts before, but these ought to do the trick.

Top Bottom