Segmented Pentel Pencil Conversion. Over 500 Pieces

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Parrott

This was a test just to see if I could actually break the 500 piece mark and for me it was a huge accomplishment.
There is no metal sleeve inside, just wood and CA. Hope you like it.

Attachments

• 1-DSCF7258.jpg
    1-DSCF7258.jpg
    480.1 KB · Views: 742
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Excellent as always. I assume you used the stave method??? What are you using to cut the rings??? Bandsaw??? What glue was used??? What was the reason for not using a tube if I may ask??? Thanks for showing

Dale Parrott

Excellent as always. I assume you used the stave method??? What are you using to cut the rings??? Bandsaw??? What glue was used??? What was the reason for not using a tube if I may ask??? Thanks for showing

I wish I knew how to be notified of my older post because I'd reply in a more timely manner. Suggestions welcome.

John, They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Something I learned as a newspaper pressman for years is that a larger picture could be worth 2000 words. All depended on space and time for that publication. Anyway I'm going to attach a photo of what's left from my blank.

I made it extra long so that I could make another. I started with a piece of Satin wood about 7/8" square and a foot long. Cut in half lengthwise and glued in a piece of veneer. After drying a couple hours I did that again so that now looking at the end there is a veneer cross. Next I cut lengthwise corner to corner. Step and repeat opposite corner. I used a 14" bandsaw for these long cuts using a homemade fence.

After drying over night this time I cut my blank in half and turned the 6" blank round. Using my pen blank drilling jaws I drilled a 1/4" hole down the middle. I cut the small disks with my small 10" bandsaw using a sled.

These pieces were assembled then on a 1/4" bolt using nuts to apply clamping pressure. I only glued about an inch at a time. Accent pieces added and redrilled using the step drill.

This project probably should have had a tube in for strength but this pencil was just a challenge to myself and won't be used or sold. If I missed something anything please ask again.

Attachments

• 12388334_10207170434811267_1817828998_n.jpg
    12388334_10207170434811267_1817828998_n.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 177

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I've made a number of Pentel type pencils with no tubes. From wood, plastic and metal. Note that the originals do not use tube either. Yes a tube might add some strength, but with even minimal care not really needed.

Well done on this one. Maybe we need a separate Pentel thread with minimal or no comments like the one for segments. Would be nice to see them in one place.

jttheclockman

Dale thanks for the reply. As I thought it basically staves. You just approached in a different manner. That is what is nice about woodworking, many ways to do things. It is amazing when you turn down the blank how small the pieces start to look. Thanks for showing and the reply. Nice work. Keep them coming.

This is segmented work. You can post those in Mike's thread about segmented pens for sure.

Dale Parrott

I've made a number of Pentel type pencils with no tubes. From wood, plastic and metal. Note that the originals do not use tube either. Yes a tube might add some strength, but with even minimal care not really needed.

Well done on this one. Maybe we need a separate Pentel thread with minimal or no comments like the one for segments. Would be nice to see them in one place.

Bruce, Thank you for commenting. While helping my son with some basement shelves I broke 2 of my pentel pencils that did not have tubes. I felt really bad because one of them was his that I now need to replace. What happened was I dropped them to the concrete floor. They were both turned from a Corian type product and being thin and brittle they didn't survive. I have dropped my shop Pentel many times onto concrete with no problems. It's made from East Indian Rosewood.

Top Bottom