Segmented Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
This pen was important to me for two reasons.

1) It is part of a pen exchange with an Ohio IAP Club member who will be moving to Italy soon (jontello); and 2) I have purchased a bunch of segmented pen blanks from my friend/mentor Joe Schneider (wood128). When I started collecting Joe's blanks I made the comment "They are too purty to turn..." I vowed not to begin turning his blanks until I learned how to make them myself.

Finishing this pen, now I can begin to turn some of Joe's blanks!

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveAxelrod

Sweet! I'm a sucker for segmented layers (I really like the little slices at the ends) but it will be a cold day in Florida before I ever sit down and put together a hundred little pieces to make anything! Ironically, a friend just asked if I'd made a cutting board for her using my cutoffs. Nope! Sounds too much like work to me!

Nice turning Mark. I like the wood - walnut? And the black end slices - ebony?

Last edited:

magpens

There's a secret, Steve ! . You don't have to fiddle around with hundreds of little pieces !! . But I think you knew that and you were just baiting us ! . Someone had to bite !!

Sweet! I'm a sucker for segmented layers (I really like the little slices at the ends) but it will be a cold day in Florida before I ever sit down and put together a hundred little pieces to make anything! Ironically, a friend just asked if I'd made a cutting board for her using my cutoffs. Nope! Sounds too much like work to me!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
There's a secret, Steve ! . You don't have to fiddle around with hundreds of little pieces !! . But I think you knew that and you were just baiting us ! . Someone had to bite !!

A secret? Wait, nobody told me there was a secret. Oh well, as with most "secrets," fairly common knowledge.

The woods were Yellowheart, Maple, Wenge and Mahogony. The lower section is Mahogony with Wenge end caps. For the veneers, I used Yellowheart and Maple, so that both sections used the same 4 woods. I was not happy with that aspect as the veneer is not very striking. I am switching to plastics or pick guard (as with your pens, the separation is much more striking).

As to building the pieces, making a simple 4 section block (or 3, 4, 5+), cutting it in EVEN slices, applying veneers if desired, realigning, drilling, turning - done! The process, is the easy part, it's the precision that will be the challenge.

Top Bottom