Scalloping with aluminum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Here is another variation on what I have been doing. I have seen this done here before and have done this myself but without the aluminum. This is by no means my idea but I really liked it when I saw it.

il_570xN.443608513_cpvz.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russknan

Mike, at the risk of being greedy, could you please explain how you got those little pieces into your basic plan as laid out in your previous post? Did you need to use a router? Thanks, Russ

Mike, at the risk of being greedy, could you please explain how you got those little pieces into your basic plan as laid out in your previous post? Did you need to use a router? Thanks, Russ

All you need to do is to visualize what is going on with each cut and turn. I know that if I put a single 45 degree angle I get some of my scallops. Now once that glue job dries I take it back to the bandsaw and cut it off right at the spot where the aluminum folds. Then I turn the blank 90 degrees cut at 45 degrees and add aluminum again and add another piece of thuya that has been cut at 45 degrees. This process if actually not all that difficult but it is time consuming and exact. With every piece you cut you need to sand smooth the surfaces and sand to fit if you want a perfect fit.

All you need to do is to visualize what is going on with each cut and turn.

Easy for you to say, but for those of us who are visually challenged ....":wink:

I have trouble with that too. I have seen scalloping like this done by others and realized what was going on after I experimented a bit before I started using the aluminum. Then I tried turning things 90 degrees on another pen and realized from what I saw from that, that this was how the others had gotten the scalloping to work. Then I tried it and it came out like you see it.

jttheclockman

Mike with each pen you are putting out you are stepping up your game. This by far is the best looking one and if you combine a few of the earlier ideas you will have a true knock out. I can't wait till you start turning the blank 22.5 degrees and doing scallop work. The woods do compliment each other for sure.

I am hoping to be able to get in my shop within the next 2 weeks. Things on the job have slowed down abit.

This pen as well as the others and by the way congrads on the front page, should be some inspiration for others to give segmenting a try. Sooooooooooo many ideas and combinations and designs can be done. Makes the pen look a whole lot better and classier with a segmented blank of this nature. Keep up the great work and look forward to seeing more. :good:

I would like to share with all of you about my tools. I do not have really fancy tools. I have a used Jet metal and wood bandsaw that I made a sliding table for. I have my lathe and a sander. Nobody should shy away from trying these things. My Nova Comet 2 is the fanciest tool I have in my shop. I think it is more about making the most out of what you have more that having the most and not using it. Would I like to have fancier tools? You bet. Do I need fancier tools? No I don't need them. Even if I could afford them (I cannot) I probably wouldn't purchase them.

Janster

Very nice work Mike! I have done two nice segmented pens but you have given me new inspiration and I am going to try and do something I have yet to see done! Thanks and be well..................Jan

RichB

All I have done is Celtic knots. What you have done is far beyond that. I just love the pens you have been posting. Keep it up. Outstanding Job. I just can't come up with the right words to explain it. Thanks again. Rich

All I have done is Celtic knots. What you have done is far beyond that. I just love the pens you have been posting. Keep it up. Outstanding Job. I just can't come up with the right words to explain it. Thanks again. Rich

Well I have not done a celtic knot so you are one up on me there. It is all the same ideal though. The angled cuts appear to be round when you turn. Same ideal here.

EagleTa2

Mike

Ive said it in a different thread and I'll say it again here...your recent posts have inspired me to start playing with segmenting...

I will also mirror your statements about fancy tools. I use the tools that I have...and am quite pleased with them. Up until a year ago all of my turning was done with 20 yr old HF chisels...I purchased a dewalt planer from a fellow ww and after chatting for a while and learning that I like to turn he decided to throw in a set of wood river chisels...I absolutely love them!

My pen turning takes a little more planning than most since I use a shopsmith 510 and do not have a chuck. I've turned pens between centers and also on mandrels with bushings. Personally I think the shopsmith is a very very capable piece of equipment that handles all of my woodworking requirements...including pen making. It just takes a bit more planning to go from table saw to disk sand to drill press and finally to lathe.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Geo

Mike
Not a bit surprised to see your pen featured. Other wise I would have been disapointed. They all look great. Would like to enjoy seeing #2 and #3 follow it up. Mods, this wouldn't be 'to' unfair would it?

Mike
Not a bit surprised to see your pen featured. Other wise I would have been disapointed. They all look great. Would like to enjoy seeing #2 and #3 follow it up. Mods, this wouldn't be 'to' unfair would it?

Well I have explained how I made the mods. All of the pens use an easy to get 45 degree angle for everything. I am thinking about doing a much steeper angle so I can get a really long arc? I am making a few simpler pens right now and will get back to more of the segmenting in a day or so.

Top Bottom