Scalloped Pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rolandranch

I've done some segmenting with metal and want to do more. I want to try doing a scalloped segmented pen but have no idea how it's done.

I would really appreciate it if someone would point me in the right direction.

Thank you,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joey-Nieves

I do a simple setup, that I discovered by mistake. I use a piece of wood cut at 60 deg to make a push sled for the band saw I use a stop so that the sled stops at the middle of the blank and make a cut, exactly like Celtic not but I stop in the middle not at the edge. I use shims between the stop to adjust for width, glue in your materials with CA clean and do the next side, just like a half way Celtic not.
Down side is you have more wast but I make a few on the same piece of wood and use them as tips of segmented pens.
Joey

farmer

Scallopes

Dyed veneers would look killer in there .

This can also be done on a metal lathe with a indexer and a live cutter except you could up to 24 scallops .

Really I think the number of scallops could be endless on a lathe with a indexer ..

twinsen

The ways suggest are the ways most people do them and the way you kind of have to do them if you go with a 60 degree scallop, which some people say look better.

If you are going to do 45 degree scallops thin I suggest a 45 degree router bit. Cut a bunch of 3/4" x 3/4" x 7'' pieces of wood. Run the 45 degree bit on one side smack dab in the middle of the 7" section. Then cut the 7" length up on the miter saw.

Here's what the pieces will look like: 20150730_152028.jpg

Then all you need to do is cut 2 45 degree into the top of your blank to make a point and glue the piece on. Rotate, cut and glue till your hearts content. This is really the most headache free way to go.

results here:

Unfortunately I couldn't find a 60 degree router bit that was at least 3/4" wide.....

But here's a 60 degree scallop with metal I did the hard headachey, glue my fingers to everythig way:

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom