Recommended metals sources, types etc

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KitZ

Hi all

I've read about using drinks cans and non-galvanized aluminum roofing material

Where should I search for materials such as copper, thicker aluminum, brass etc?

(or where in the forum should I source)

thanks
dee

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTsideshow

Big Box home stores, have aluminum flashing in the roofing supply isle along with copper, Any sheet metal/roofing shop. Any hobby shop that sells K&S metals generally has their sheet packages and individual sheets. Hobby Lobby had them here locally.
Just make sure you buy the flashing that DOESN'T have the adhesive/tar sealer on them.
:clown:

nanosec12

You can also buy thin metal sheets (various sizes and materials) from the 'craft' stores like Michaels, Joannes Fabrics, etc. in their 'jewelry making' section. I found a decent deal on copper sheets at michaels...

HamTurns

Your local hardware store. I get brass sheets in 4 thicknesses and aluminum sheets in 3 thicknesses, plus aluminum, bars, brackets, etc (to use part of, depending on it's thickness).

If you have an airport with an aircraft maintenance facility (FBO) you can get scraps of aluminum for free from the scrap bin (for a couple pens anyways.) I use a simple hole saw to make "washers" for segmented pens.

Have fun.

Tom

Jim Burr

Banned
I've had great success on eBay. Copper, brass and aluminium and good prices. Remember copper is in an all time high flux so be prepared. Soda cans have always been a little on the thin side for my taste, but that can be a real advantage sometimes!

Hendu3270

Lowes has some thicker sections (thicker than the typical flashing everyone uses). They have a small "metal" area with misc pieces of steel and aluminum where you can find a sheet of aluminum that 3 or 4 times as thick as flashing. Also, in the hardware section, where they have those wide pull out drawers, one will have misc hobby items in it. In that drawer they have small 3" x 4" sheets of aluminum, tin, copper and brass. I use those brass sheets when making a segmented pen with gold components.

Scruffy

For copper products I use

basiccopper.com. They have a wide variety of products and samples. Inexpensive samples which will support you for awhile.

Top Bottom