Purple Heart w/Aluminum Scallops and Hackberry Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Here is my latest. I tried cutting so I only had the scallops left for the segment. I will have to cut closer next time but I like the outcome anyway. Comments and questions welcome as always.
il_570xN.458458555_826g.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

Those are amazing scallops. I love how you get the aluminum segments going though both scallops. I'm guessing you are saving your cut offs & then adding a strip of al when you glue it back on. But that seems really tedious. Plus I don't have a setup for doing scallops like that.

No matter how you do it, it's really cool.

Stared at this one for quite a while before I replied. Love it! It has a classic, timeless look to it. Excellent pairing of the hackberry with the purpleheart.

Last edited:

Hendu3270

You da man Mike! You da man! Amazing as always, but also is your ability to continue crankin' out these pens as often as you do.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I try to keep several designs in the glue up clamps at a time. I have a set in now and the next design is in my head. I am trying to cut the segmented part back so it has less of the segmented wood left and it will be just a band of scallops in the end but it is easier said than done. In the meantime I am having lots of fun with it. Everything you need to make these pens is in the tutorial that I put in this forum. I think it is on page 2 at this point but all of the techniques are there.

Russknan

Did some searching, but couldn't find the tutorial Mike was referring to. Could someone help me get there? I'm within a week or two of jumping into the deep end of the pool. Just need to make some jigs. Russ

ajollydds

Wanted to bump this thread.
Fabulous craftsmanship, and a beautiful pen!
There is a special art to making something complex look so elegant and simple.

Top Bottom