Purple Heart larger scallops

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I made this as a test I think it came out ok. I increased my angle by a lot to come up with a larger scallop.

il_570xN.465147035_o4z0.jpg

Hope you like it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MikeL

Looks good. Seems the increased angle increases the surface area at the bottom of the aluminum scalop giving a more dramatic look. Nice!

jttheclockman

OK Mike I have sat back and watched as you continue to put out these scalloped pens. Will you do a tutorial on your method?/ I ask this because you seem to be the only one that does what you are doing. I know you are using a bandsaw but your scallops do not match on any of your pens and was wondering is this intentional or a byproduct of your method. A scallop is in my eye an unbroken arch. On yours no 2 lines meet. It is different.

There are as I always say many ways of doing the many things we do to a pen blank and you have a unique way of making your design. Will you share with us your method in case others want to try.

Right you are John the reason is because of the kerf of the bandsaw. So for the way I am doing they are nearly perfect. I figured out how to do it by looking at the scalloping tutorial that you gave me a link to. I can never find it when I need it but the information in that tutorial is what gave me the idea for the method that I use. I did a lot of trial and error to get it down.

Start here. http://www.penturners.org/forum/f179/segmenting-aluminum-wood-108968/

Make comments in that thread and I will walk you through the rest of the process there. Any and all tips should be contained in that thread so they stay together. I will only answer questions there.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Right you are John the reason is because of the kerf of the bandsaw. So for the way I am doing they are nearly perfect. I figured out how to do it by looking at the scalloping tutorial that you gave me a link to. I can never find it when I need it but the information in that tutorial is what gave me the idea for the method that I use. I did a lot of trial and error to get it down.

Start here. http://www.penturners.org/forum/f179/segmenting-aluminum-wood-108968/

Make comments in that thread and I will walk you through the rest of the process there. Any and all tips should be contained in that thread so they stay together. I will only answer questions there.

But you are not doing scallops in that thread. That is your Vee cuts. I do not think you should mix the 2 together. They maybe similar in the way you go about adding the metals but the process has to be somewhat different. Just my thoughts. You could start a whole new thread and call it your method of doing scallops and post this pen or a couple of your other pens.

I am trying to keep things abit seperate. When topics start to blend in then you have to sift through so many pages to get what you are looking for. This is just an opinion. You do as you want. It is your pens.

Nice pen by the way.

I understand John but they are exactly the same cuts. When I did that tutorial I told everyone that all the cuts needed to do scalloping was in that tutorial. So I figured since turning the blank 90 degrees and make the same cut again then I would not need to make a completely new thread. I see what you mean though. It could be more of a series I suppose but time is a precious commodity and I don't always have lots of that. I will post a few more photos when I get some time.

Mike

But you are not doing scallops in that thread. That is your Vee cuts. I do not think you should mix the 2 together. They maybe similar in the way you go about adding the metals but the process has to be somewhat different. Just my thoughts. You could start a whole new thread and call it your method of doing scallops and post this pen or a couple of your other pens.

I am trying to keep things abit seperate. When topics start to blend in then you have to sift through so many pages to get what you are looking for. This is just an opinion. You do as you want. It is your pens.

Nice pen by the way.

Top Bottom