Plastic Sheets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Looking for a source for opaque plastic sheets of various colors such as reds blues and greens with a thickness of .032 or close. Used for segmenting pen blanks. A link would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

have you looked at amazon for pickguard material?
Amazon.com: blank pickguard: Musical Instruments

I have used pickguard for many things before and still use it. They do not sell solid colors other than black or white or at least not that I have found. In the case of the pens it is only the edge that is going to be seen so getting expensive pearl material is not feasible. One other note for those that segment using pickguard material and using the layered stuff, be careful because the layers are not all the same thickness and if you are particular as I am this can be distracting from the pen.

Thanks for the link and the suggestion. Still looking for single layered solid colored sheets. If i come across something I will post a link. I have gotten my black and white sheets from Hobbylinc so i will have to look there.

Just a little side line, I use pickguard material for things like these CD or DVD racks.

jttheclockman

Those are 2 very good sources. I have bookmarked them and maybe I can use them. Thanks. This may open other vendors of the same kind so may look into this as well.

Last edited:

BKelley

I have tried pick guard and didn't really like it. Manik mentioned engravers plastics from Rowmark, it is available from Johnson Plastics. The engraving material is too soft to make good spacers in segmenting although it does come in a multitude of colors. Gravograph formerly Hermes also carries a complete line of engraving plastics. If you PM your address I'll be glad to send you some samples,but don't think you will like it. I have done some simple segmenting and favor a fibre material.

Ben

jttheclockman

Have you considered heavy cardstock? It comes in all kinds of colors and is a wood product. Glues easily with wood glues.

If i was to go that route I would go with wood veneers. Many colors and easy to work too. It is an idea for others to give it a try. Do not limit yourself.

Skie_M

I get my plastic sheets for free .... but they are all white.

They are previously used as table top covers "glue boards" and are covered in glue residues and little bits of wood or material that were left behind when the sheet was tossed ....

A large number of wooden items are prepped with a glue that takes about 15 - 20 minutes to set up, and then the sheet is brought back to the working table where the individual items are then pulled off and materials are applied... faux leather, silk, velvet, ect .... the workshop makes jewelry displays and boxes.

The sheets I simply pull out of the dumpster. They don't mind me recycling it one bit ... I also grab the leftover cardboard roll tubes that once held the materials. They are good for rolling up materials when I buy it at hobby lobby or jo-anne's fabrics. They do, however, find it amusing that I actually walk into the store with a real fabric roll to get fabric ... :)

Heavy cardstock won't take quite the same polish that wood would, unless you soak it pretty good in some epoxy or CA ... not sure how it would look. I know that you can make a form of micarta with it, and that it looks decent, but I haven't done any experimentation in that field yet.

Most people make micarta with scrap fabrics, old jeans, t-shirts, ect ... just watch the dust, as it's definitely not good to inhale.

Marnat3

During "Back to school" I grabbed a bunch of the solid color flexible report covers in a handful of colors. they might be a little thin for your use but possibly sandwich them together for a thin stripe effect.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
An office supply store will have 3 ring binder dividers in a pack that has red, blue, black, yellow, green, orange, white (all the colors of racing flags) and brown. Sand the surface to dull and CA will work on it.
WB

plantman

John; Try this one. www/sales@delviesplastic.com . They have a very large assortment of plastics in a large variety of shapes and colors. They also ship 12X12 and 12X24 sheets. Jim S

Last edited:

jttheclockman

John; Try this one. www/sales@delviesplastic.com . They have a very large assortment of plastics in a large variety of shapes and colors. They also ship 12X12 and 12X24 sheets. Jim S

Jim I did try them. Custom orders. I have bought sheets from them before. 1/8 or larger. I did get some 1/16 rods from them while I was there.

I have Atlas Billiard sending some. I worked out a good price with them. Should be what I wanted.Will see.

jttheclockman

Thanks. Yes I had. I mention this in an earlier post. I found they were way too expensive.

I got the material today and it looks great. The colors are bright and opaque. Will work nicely and now I have some for stock.

Last edited:
Top Bottom