Piano Key Ivory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

allisnut

I have a box full of keys from an old - at least 1950s but maybe a good bit older - piano. The ivory is in thin pieces glued to the pine keys. Most pieces pop right off.

Is there an easy way to be sure they are real ivory? I can see rings and patterns in some of the pieces, but I can't get a decent close up of a good sample.

I'm thinking this will be good segmenting material if I can get my patience and kerf tuned up just right. Any ideas for utilizing this material are welcomed!

DSCN4125_zps0f8ff816.jpg

DSCN4124_zpsf04ef4bf.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTsideshow

More than likely they are ivory, easiest test is the heated pin test on the back side. If it smells like burning plastic when a red hot pin is placed against it it isn't ivory. You only need the point end to do the test.
The piano key ivory is a favorite material for jewelry work. Don't neglect the black keys as a lot of them were made from ebony or other dark to black woods.
:clown:

jttheclockman

Seem like a waste to just stand it on edge to get an accent piece. If you could incorporate them so they lay flat, now that would be worth seeing. Just an opinion.:)

Top Bottom