Only Almost Cool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikebpeters

I meant to post this a week or two ago and forgot.

I had an idea that I honestly had no idea would turn out but I figured it was worth some time.

I cut two holes, side by side in a piece of birds eye maple, turned a piece of verawood down to just fit, wrapped the verawood in aluminum and glued it all together.

Of note, I should have turned the verawood down a bit further because I forgot to compensate for the thickness of the aluminum. anyway here is the blank I ended up with.

20130524_122125_zpsaa71df92.jpg

I still couldn't fully visualize how it would turn out, so when I got this out of it my response all right, only almost cool, but still some good lessons.

IMG_1499_zps9dd6c18a.jpg

IMG_1495_zps19c25b9a.jpg

IMG_1496_zpscafc0546.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We all have those it seemed better in my head when I started pen. It might look really cool if you had done it stepping down the length of the blank using slightly smaller diameters each time, Say 3 times on the lower blank. Great try

sbell111

Of note, I should have turned the verawood down a bit further because I forgot to compensate for the thickness of the aluminum. anyway here is the blank I ended up with.
Next time, you might want to consider dry fitting everything prior to gluing it up. Had you done this, you would have recognized that the verawood needed to be made smaller.

Top Bottom