Not an easy project for me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Janster

I learned a lot along the way, I hope. Biggest mistake was the adhesive, not only in time for curing but really messy! I too do not like the dark epoxy showing. As I made additional cuts for the metal, it seems as though one loses more wood than one re-applies in metal, hence, not perfect realignment. I have seen better work by others and theirs too have the same issues at times. Gotta work on that! Tell you what, you have to turn with very light cuts, and very sharp tools, at least I do. This was my best for this attempt, I'll do some more! C~N~C welcomed along with any tips ? MIKESPENTURNINGZ??? Thanks and be well................Jan

That is a great start Jan. All of mine have some sort of flaws but they get better and better along the way. I had one that would have been really good blow up on me several times yesterday, I had go just give up on it and start a new cap. Keep experimenting the more you do the better you get and the more you can visualize things when they are done. That pen looks like a great start for you that is for sure.

jfoh

Nice pen. If you do not cut the blank into two parts the alignment is much easier. I cut mine 90-95% or so and have a slim part left holding the blank in it's original alignment. The insert must exactly fit the width of the saw kerf. The last five to ten percent is turned away so there is no odd parts without inserted material. Good blanks require careful attention to detail and a little luck. My basic check list is below.

First thing is to make sure your insert is the same thickness as your saw kerf if possible. Second thing is to keep your blank in perfect alignment. Third thing is to try several different adhesives. Some like CA, others urethane type glues or epoxy. Fourth thing is to make sure any metal surface is free of oils and I like to rough them up for better glue adhesion. For drilling I like to wrap the finished blank in duct tape in case of blowouts. Much easier to make a simple repair if all the parts are in near alignment instead of some where on the floor. Do not ask me how I learned that.

I keep a stash of maple blanks just for such learning blanks. Experiment and see what works best for you. If you have a failure on a ten cent blank while learning you do not cry as much as you do when you are working with a high grade blank. Do not ask me how I learned that either.

Janster

Thanks for the tips.I figured out the kerf/fill problem real quickly, but too late! I had a conversation w/another IAP member re: kerf/fill and adhesives. I appreciate you input. I WILL get another going real soon! Thanks..... Jan

Top Bottom