not as easy as it looks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EagleTa2

OK, I'll admit it...I got to spend some of my Easter in the shop and I started working on a couple segmented blanks..

Theyre all cut and pieced together but I didn't have time to glue them up yet. When the blanks are glued up I will post some pics.

The admission is that segmenting isn't as easy as it seems...or as you guys make it look! Either that, or I am making way more out of it than I should.

For some unknown reason, my band saw couldn't cut a 45 accurately to save my soul..so I reverted to my ts which I am happy to say is perfectly aligned...finally.

Anyhow, I had issues cutting the 2 45 degree kerfs to line up in the center of the blank and also line up with the other half of the blank... (so the resulting void is a perfect square).

It seems like it would be easier to use a mortising bit to make a nice square hole and then trim the blank out around that.

Like I said, when they blanks are glued up...I'll shoot pics of them.

Then of course when they are turned, more pics will follow.

Thanks for the inspiration...
Geo

RMayoIII

I look forward to seeing them. I like the idea of using the mortise to make a centered hole to start with. I might have to try that also. Got to keep the wheels moving or they'll start to rust!

plantman

Geo; I feel your pain !! I spent all day and night Saturday making jigs for my bandsaws, disk sander, and my mini table saw just to do that very thing. If your jigs are not dead on, all is lost from the start. If they are 100% on, the rest is easy. Well sort of easy anyway. All your cuts must be well thougt out ahead of time and carefully done. Most important part is drilling down the exact center of your blank. The result is realy satisfying. Jim S

If you make a sliding table for your bandsaw it will make life much easier. I have a fence on my sliding table that is perpendicular to the blade. Then I use a metal vblock to get my 45 degree cuts. I first cut the blank end to make it sit nice and tight in the vblock then I start cutting. Now I am not saying you don't have to fuss around a bit. I also make sure I hold that vblock and turn the blank over to get the second cut. If you don't let that vblock move you can keep on turning the blank until you get the exact center. Give that a try and let me know how you make out.

Top Bottom