Newbie question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Krudwig

I've been looking at and reading about segmenting and the use of aluminum cans. My question concerns the use of flashing , like rolled flashing you get at the lumber yard, is it too thick for segmenting? Will it be too tough to drill or to turn without carbide turning tools? I'm sure that some of you have tried and probably succeeded from the talent I've seen here.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ChrisN

I'm not sure how thick your flashing is, but the stuff i got at lowes is about 1/32". It cuts fine with standard hss tools.

Krudwig

Do you use epoxy or ca glue ? I know you have to sand it to give it some roughness, but does one of these glues stand up to the heat that may come from drilling or turning better than the other?

SteveG

The flashing works fine. Some segmenting work is done with aluminum much thicker than flashing, and does not require carbide or any special tooling to drill or turn. Success with metal segmenting relies on a really good bond and being careful about heat build up, as mentioned already. I prefer to use epoxy, and to let it cure over night for the best cure. I address heat by using very sharp bits and lathe tools. Start drilling with under sized bits, then step up with an intermediate size, then the final full size. If you are going to have problems, it will likely be during the drilling phase. Experiment a little to see what works. Happy turning!

Krudwig

Hey, thanks for the replies. I'm anxious to try these segmented pens but I'm waiting on a drill chuck and lathe centers to come in. I've read a lot on here and it seems that the failure rate is pretty high for these, but I guess that's what makes them interesting.

Last edited:

Pjohnson

I, too, have used flashing with success. Heat is an issue and the other I found is clogging.
My process: As soon as I go through the aluminum with the bit, I pull it out of the blank and check/remove the metal cap stuck to the drill bit. My bits are brad point. A standard bit may not have the same result. I would still check to make sure.

Rules of thumb:
Drill slow
Drill a little - pull out to unclog
Drill slow
Drill a little - pull out to unclog
... Repeat as necessary.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 199

08K.80

I have used aluminum rods that were cut to width. Most of them start at 3/32" and have gone up to 1/2" in width. I didn't have any problems drilling or turning them, but I made sure not to get them even warm. I used oil when I drilled based on suggestions from several people.

You can see some of the pens I've made with aluminum if you click my link.

Krudwig

Pjohnson, thanks for the good tips and the picture of that amazing pen. I am still waiting on Amazon to deliver my chuck but hope to try some soon.

08k.80, I visited your web page and saw your work and it is very impressive.The tip on not letting them git warm was one ill try to keep in mind. My mind is full of all kinds of possible combonations to try.
thanks for ther info...

sschering

I have had good luck with the aluminum..

The first one I used a soda can but for the rest I bought some K&S sheet aluminum.

It's nice because you can get a selection of widths and it's all nice and flat.

I went to Hobby lobby armed with a 40% off coupon to get it..

I prefer to sand both sides with 220 before glue up.

Top Bottom