A new inlay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
One of the benefits of driving 2,500 miles and turning the phone on vibrate and the radio off... Nothing to do but think, ponder, imagine... I came up with a few ideas.

This is a new inlay design. It is a bit "clunky" for my tastes - too thick, but I can fix that! It fits for my .20" inlay objective, but this design will be better suited (IMO) with a thinner inlay on all 4 sides (.175" x .175" ??).
I have 4 more design modifications on this type of platform gluing up.

Please - all comments, suggestions, critique is beneficial... I will post all procedures on how I did this, so let's tweak it together!

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
What? Are you trying to get into the IAP Collection.:biggrin:
Nice!

Nope! :) - Those are some very nice pens!!! Out of my league - I Know. I'm just trying to have fun!

My simple glue-ups are keeping me busy and they are fun. A very nice source of "stress-reduction."

Life is busy, a fun hobby is a priceless, and well appreciated endeavor. All debts are paid! I am in debt to IAP and my friends within!

Jim15

I think it might look better a little thinner but I have a little trouble visualizing things. I think it looks pretty awesome the way it is.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I think it might look better a little thinner but I have a little trouble visualizing things. I think it looks pretty awesome the way it is.

Yes, it will look better thinner! I suspect from the current .20" square to .175" will make a difference; if not we will go from there! :rolleyes:

Dehn0045

I guess I like clunky. I'd suggest even more clunky and make the width of the segmented strips each 1/8 of the circumference. Either way you go next, very nice work!

magpens

Great job, Mark !!!

When you say "thinner inlay" would be better, I believe you are referring to the circumferential width of the light colored full-length strip of wood.

So you would be making the segmented strips wider ?

That would be moving towards the suggestion that Sam made which is to make all strips of a width equal to 1/8 the circumference.

I don't know about making all strips 1/8 ... trying that is the only way to find out.

But I agree with the direction you are headed. !

ajollydds

You probably need to mail that pen to me for closer inspection. [emoji6]

I like both ideas of making the inlay thinner, and the one about equal alternating segments all the way around.

Great work, I look forward to the next few versions.

Talltim

Mark

I like it. I would like to see a picture rotated about an eighth of a turn to see the inlay strip between the lighter full length strips.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I guess I like clunky. I'd suggest even more clunky and make the width of the segmented strips each 1/8 of the circumference. Either way you go next, very nice work!

I have been able to get the 1/8 dimension approximately; and while it's fine, I prefer thinner inlays.

View in Gallery

Man, that's nice...

Thank you Roy! I also love your work.

I think it is too thin. Needs to be fatter. Great job.

Thanks Bob, Nancy disagrees and thinks I need to lose some weight :eek:. She tries to feed me Kale and Quinua. Guess she thinks I'm a Llama...

Great job, Mark !!!

When you say "thinner inlay" would be better, I believe you are referring to the circumferential width of the light colored full-length strip of wood.

So you would be making the segmented strips wider ?

That would be moving towards the suggestion that Sam made which is to make all strips of a width equal to 1/8 the circumference.

I don't know about making all strips 1/8 ... trying that is the only way to find out.

But I agree with the direction you are headed. !

With this exact inlay, if I use a smaller OD kit, the maple sections will be thinner, but not the inlay. To get the inlay thinner, it has to be constructed thinner - which I can/will do next time.

These are easier than Chevrons, so all is good.

You probably need to mail that pen to me for closer inspection. [emoji6]

I like both ideas of making the inlay thinner, and the one about equal alternating segments all the way around.

Great work, I look forward to the next few versions.

Funny, "Wifey" was looking at the pen, and this AM I can't seem to find it...

Mark

I like it. I would like to see a picture rotated about an eighth of a turn to see the inlay strip between the lighter full length strips.

I'll have to take another pickie in a day or so - out of town until Friday.

Thank you.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
You know I'm a fan too.:biggrin: I always like the intricacy of your segmenting but I'm equally impressed with your attention to detail afterwards.... Making sure that the pattern always sits central to the finished barrel and ensuring that the tube hole is drilled perfectly straight is something that many others trip up on. :biggrin: well done Mark.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
You know I'm a fan too.:biggrin: I always like the intricacy of your segmenting but I'm equally impressed with your attention to detail afterwards.... Making sure that the pattern always sits central to the finished barrel and ensuring that the tube hole is drilled perfectly straight is something that many others trip up on. :biggrin: well done Mark.

Thank you! I have a bucket-load of unturned segmented blanks that are constructed poorly. The blanks with these inlays I find easier to get aligned; but the Chevrons are still pretty fussy.

I appreciate the comments.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark, I am sure you have probably shared somewhere but what saw do you use for the intricate cuts?
Thanks
Ron

Hi Ron. I was actually visiting Chuck yesterday!

The inlay for this pen was actually easy to assemble, and I will be able to make it thinner.

I cut the 1/8" pieces on the Byrnes Table saw. (But I cut my Chevrons on my Craftsman Table saw, with a 45 degree sled).

Pictures are out of order, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0249.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0252.jpg
    IMG_0252.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0251.jpg
    IMG_0251.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0250.jpg
    IMG_0250.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:

Gregory Hardy

Beautiful! I'm not sure that I think the long, wide maple strip needs to be narrower? You might make yourself happier by breaking it up with a narrow strip down the center. The balance might set your mind at ease! Lovely blank and application to a pen, Mark.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful! I'm not sure that I think the long, wide maple strip needs to be narrower? You might make yourself happier by breaking it up with a narrow strip down the center. The balance might set your mind at ease! Lovely blank and application to a pen, Mark.

I want the actual inlay to be thinner. This one was about .225" (slightly less that 1/4"). So all dimensions need to be on a diet. I suspect .20" for the final dimension will be more appealing (to me :tongue:). With the thickness sander, this I can do.

And yes, there are many different color/thickness/veneer variations possible. This is glued up waiting for when I have a the time (we all need more time...):

I think it looks great the way it is! Thanks for the extra pics as well!

Thank you Bob. I have about 16 more variations sketched out (in pencil...).
These are fun, and surprisingly easy after you "Just start".

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_0257.jpg
    IMG_0257.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 162

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

I want the actual inlay to be thinner. This one was about .225" (slightly less that 1/4"). So all dimensions need to be on a diet. I suspect .20" for the final dimension will be more appealing (to me :tongue:). With the thickness sander, this I can do.

And yes, there are many different color/thickness/veneer variations possible. This is glued up waiting for when I have a the time (we all need more time...):

I think it looks great the way it is! Thanks for the extra pics as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Thank you Bob. I have about 16 more variations sketched out (in pencil...).
These are fun, and surprisingly easy after you "Just start".

wood128

Mark, here is an interesting segmented pen design. How would you get that design to be 360 degrees ?It has some similarity to your work.

Attachments

• 999b31daa416f0e9bcd49824dc604a4a.jpg
    999b31daa416f0e9bcd49824dc604a4a.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 195

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark, here is an interesting segmented pen design. How would you get that design to be 360 degrees ?It has some similarity to your work.

That is a beautiful job! I'll have to ponder that as my quick answers are flawed!

Maybe rings, maybe triangles,... Hmnnn...

Hope all is well!

Mark

How about this: I envy ( and appreciate) Ray's precision

Attachments

• il_fullxfull.1018699090_tt2v-1.jpg
    il_fullxfull.1018699090_tt2v-1.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

Woodchipper

wood128, the photo in #26 would take a lot of planning and patience to cut and glue all those little pieces. I also dabble in woodturning and am amazed at the segmented turnings that take over 1,000 pieces! Look at www.segmentedturning.com for some examples.

Top Bottom