Need a specific pen blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevepax

My brother has very specific tastes. I've made and sold a bunch of pens (he has bought a handful, actually), but I've never done segmenting. He wants a pen that is made with basically the blackest wood we can find, with a celtic knot, or maybe two celtic knots in it in very light wood.

So I'm thinking an ebony pen blank with holly for the knot. I don't want to make the blank, I want to know if anyone here (or anywhere) is willing to take on a custom job to make me a few blanks like this (in case I screw one up, and also so I can make a few of these)? And does the holly have to be stabilized somehow during the segmenting (CA Glue?) to keep it from turning gray after sanding?

If we did two knots, it would be because he wants a rollerball pen with a postable cap, so he'd want a knot on the main shaft, and another one on the cap of the pen.

Anyone here do that kind of custom segmenting? What kind of price might I be looking at for this? Thank you all!

firewhatfire

Ebony has a tendency to Crack. Look at African Blackwood. Holly stabilized beforehand will help. If possible don't sand at all. Sharp carbide bits turning it smooth and CA finish on it.

And I Am not volunteering to make em. Sorry

Last edited:

plantman

Steve; I have made several segmented pens using Ebony and Holly. If you stabilize Holly, It has a tendency to turn darker. Also when you apply a finish to Holly it will also darken somewhat. The way I try to get around this effect is to sand by hand and try to avoid crossing over the two woods. This may not be easy with a celtic knot. If the Ebony runs over into the Holly, and it will, take a tac rag and clean off any sanding dust on your blank. Apply a thin coat of CA to your blank and lightly sand the holly only until the black is removed. Clean again and recoat with CA. I no longer use Holly any more, because I was never happy with the results when fiished. If you use dry Ebony, make a larger pen with a little thicker side wall, and seal the ends and surface with CA, you should have no problem with cracking unless exposed to drastic temperatures changes. African Blackwood would be a good choise also, but will show a little more grain and color changes than Ebony. I have replaced the Holly with either a 3 or 5 ply Pic Guard WBW or WBWBW, Ivory from antique piano keys, or a wedding white acrylic rod. You could also use an Ebony Black acrylic rod and that would inable you to make a kitless or custom set of pens. Last option. Laserlinez has Celtic Knot blanks in a variety of color combos. Check them out. Jim S

Last edited:
Top Bottom