My latest try at segmenting a Celtic Knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Parrott

I thought I'd step the knot stuff and try a double. This is my second one after realizing that's just too much for a slimline. Cigar kit with Wenge and Walmart gift card inlays.

DoubleCelticKnot2_zps8bae06e5.jpg

I used to think I took pretty good pictures until I started taking them of my pens. Sorry for the substandard photo skills.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

No need to apologise for the photograph.
To me it looks fine, just what I expect a Turner would present.
The pen is an interesting application of a double celtic knot.
And another use of a WMart Gift Card.
I agree that it does make the Slimline a little busy.
How would it be with aluminium drink can insert? it might not be so dominating.
Keep up the good work.
Brian

Dale Parrott

Brian, I think the drink can would look nice but I'm not sure how I would do it. Right now I never completely sever the blank and use an inlay the thickness of the kerf. I do have the right thickness aluminum but the that would look almost like the card. What I would like to do is figure out how to get very accurate .030" strips from my 30 year old table saw and just use wood.

Dale Allen

Don't know if it would help but here's what I did.
First I got a circular saw blade for my TS. A 7-1/4" with about 24 teeth.
Next I built a so-so sled with a holddown track.
Then I made a 45 degree and 60 degree add-on for doing knots.
The thin blade allowed me to use much thinner strips.
The strips I cut with my bandsaw and sanded them down on my faceplate/sanding disc.

flyitfast

I know we like to actually make everything our selves, but instead of cutting super thin wood, maybe you can get the right thickness in sheet veneer? Just a thought.
gordon

Brian, I think the drink can would look nice but I'm not sure how I would do it. Right now I never completely sever the blank and use an inlay the thickness of the kerf. I do have the right thickness aluminum but the that would look almost like the card. What I would like to do is figure out how to get very accurate .030" strips from my 30 year old table saw and just use wood.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
attachment.php
Brian, I think the drink can would look nice but I'm not sure how I would do it. Right now I never completely sever the blank and use an inlay the thickness of the kerf. I do have the right thickness aluminum but the that would look almost like the card.
What I would like to do is figure out how to get very accurate .030" strips from my 30 year old table saw and just use wood.
Try this!

Attachments

• thin strip ripping jig 002.jpg
    thin strip ripping jig 002.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 645

Dale Parrott

Don't know if it would help but here's what I did.
First I got a circular saw blade for my TS. A 7-1/4" with about 24 teeth.
Next I built a so-so sled with a holddown track.
Then I made a 45 degree and 60 degree add-on for doing knots.
The thin blade allowed me to use much thinner strips.
The strips I cut with my bandsaw and sanded them down on my faceplate/sanding disc.

I'll keep your suggestions in mind, Thanks

It looks like we do the cuts just the opposite. I cut the slots on the bandsaw and tried to make the strips on the table saw. I got really close but not perfect like the white card. I think that yesterday I just wanted to start and complete a project rather than doing trial & error setup cutting strips.

Dale Parrott

[/quote]
Try this![/QUOTE]

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm thinking part of the problem is the fence on my 30 year old Craftsman 10" 113 saw. I've never seen anyone happy with it. I may give it another shot today. Thanks

Top Bottom