My first segmented pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
This will be my second pen.
I have just over six hours cutting and fitting the pieces. I still have to glue up everything and I hope the end result is worth all of the time I have invested.
I just wondered how much time does one invest into a segmented pen on average? Of coarse the elaborate pens will undoubtedly require much more time.
I never expected to spend so much time on one pen, but I have a new respect for those that do segmented pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobleibo

The true measurement is after you spend all of those hours putting it together and it blows apart on the lathe.....and it will happen so be ready....and you will not be the first or last for it to happen to. I refer to that as tuition for the lessons that never end.
Good luck to you in what will become a new challenge filled with unlimited potential.

Terredax

Banned
That's a little discouraging.
I don't think there will be a problem with it coming apart. It's not overly intricate or unique, I just made sure all of the seams are perfect and tight.
At least they were before gluing them up. Holding two pieces together dry, the seam was invisible. We will see how it looks after being turned down to the proper diameter.
It will be a few days before I can finish it, but I'll do my best to get a photo before I give it away.

bobleibo

That's a little discouraging.
I don't think there will be a problem with it coming apart. It's not overly intricate or unique, I just made sure all of the seams are perfect and tight.
At least they were before gluing them up. Holding two pieces together dry, the seam was invisible. We will see how it looks after being turned down to the proper diameter.
It will be a few days before I can finish it, but I'll do my best to get a photo before I give it away.

Noooooo!!! Don't be discouraged, just be careful and adventurous and creative. Segmented blanks have tons of little things sticking out there volunteering to becomes catches. Light cuts and sharp tools and you will certainly do better than I did when I started. I learn slow, but I learn. Sadly it's usually the hard way.
Cheers
Bob

Notscottish

Segmented pens blowing apart on the lathe or during drilling are part of the process. Makes you appreciate the ones that make it all of the way.

Some of my blanks take many hours over several days and a 50% finish rate can be optimistic. But when everything comes together to completion, it is all worth it.

Terredax

Banned
I don't want to give away too much information about my pen yet, but I thought I would show a photo of one of the seams after it's glued and turned back down to see the seam. This is what is taking me so long. Is the seam acceptable enough to continue? Remember: I have no camera skills = bad photo.

farmer

machining wood

Segmented pens blowing apart on the lathe or during drilling are part of the process. Makes you appreciate the ones that make it all of the way.

Some of my blanks take many hours over several days and a 50% finish rate can be optimistic. But when everything comes together to completion, it is all worth it.

Doesn't have to be that way.

Wooly

Machining wood?

Doesn't have to be that way.

Could you give some details? It looks like you use a dowel cutter. Are you using it as a mandrel or as a form for your segmented rings? Also it appears your using a rotary cutter to cut rings. If so are you using a metal lathe or a X-Y cross slide on your wood lathe?

Inquiring minds want to know :laugh:
Wooly

jttheclockman

This will be my second pen.
I have just over six hours cutting and fitting the pieces. I still have to glue up everything and I hope the end result is worth all of the time I have invested.
I just wondered how much time does one invest into a segmented pen on average? Of coarse the elaborate pens will undoubtedly require much more time.
I never expected to spend so much time on one pen, but I have a new respect for those that do segmented pens.

Hello John

I commend you for trying any type segmented pen blank as a second pen. As far as time goes that is not the way to approach doing a segmented blank. As with anything in life the more you do something the better and faster you wil get at it. The use of proper tools will go a long way in making any segmented blank. Good clean and repeatable cuts is key. Jigs are made all the time when doing any type segmenting at all. Figuring out design patterns and knowing the results before hand are products of doing it for a while and testing and learning from your mistakes.

Yes you will make mistakes and at times you may get a blow up or two but do not be discouraged and learn from them. There are ways to prevent many of the hazards and many have been talked about here. I started a thread a few years ago called "why blanks go boom" you may want to check that out. There are some good suggestions there.

To your question on time, there is no answer and never will be. many factors go into building a pen blank. But you are creating as opposed to those that just take a plain wood blank or acrylic blank and turn it round. Not much creation there. So take your time and plan your work. As far as the seam shown it is fine. Unless the pen is in someone's hands you really do not know how well the blank was built. If it passes your eye test is what counts.

Good luck and look forward to seeing what you will do now and in the future. Keep records so it shows you how well you have progressed and check out the segmenting forum here. There is some great work shown.

Top Bottom