My First Segmented Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlf

During the last couple of weeks I have made a new Band Saw Sled, and enhancements to that sled to support an adjustable stop block and a pen blank sizing jig. I have since made a segmented blank and a pen that utilizes that blank.

Here is a link to the video for the segmented blank.

https://youtu.be/USXunXr9I1c

The video for the pen that uses the blank will follow soon.

I am really new to the world of segmented blanks. I hope I did ok!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I like your sled. Particularly the way you use the tube length to cut the blank.
Very clever. I think I was first to give your video a thumbs up too:biggrin:
Pen turned out great too!!:wink:

toddlf

I like your sled. Particularly the way you use the tube length to cut the blank.
Very clever. I think I was first to give your video a thumbs up too:biggrin:
Pen turned out great too!!:wink:

I have seen several jigs for cutting pen blanks in past YouTube videos. My design is not completely original, but I don't remember anyone that used a standard sled as part of their design. I will do a search and try to find the videos I had seen in the past to make sure people get to see their designs as well.

magpens

Just my two-bits worth ....

.... pictures posted here on IAP mean more to me than youtube videos :):biggrin:

jttheclockman

I love when people make jigs because it shows they are trying to solve a situation that has come up in their ventures whatever it is. I make lots of jigs all the time and many are just one time use.

With that said what you need to be aware of and yes you can compensate by using a spacer if you choose but for me a simple sled with a fence is all that is needed for cutting blanks. I say this because you really do not want to cut the blank exact length of tube. You leave yourself no fudge factor from blow outs or cracks on the ends of the blanks.Or bandsaw flutter when cutting.

I believe sleds with hold downs and things of this nature are good for doing segmenting work where precision and repeatability counts more than a standard pen blank cut. This is why we true the blank ends with disc sanders or barrel trimmers.

Just an opinion. :):)

toddlf

Just my two-bits worth ....

.... pictures posted here on IAP mean more to me than youtube videos :):biggrin:

I am sure you are not the only one. :) I didn't stop and take any photos of the pen blank after I made it. It went straight to the lathe and is now a pen. I will get some shots of the pen and post them soon.

Thank you for the feedback.

Loucurr

Glad to see you make a video for the LLWW Pen Swap. I finished making my pen and getting ready to send it out. I thought about doing a video like I did the first year but before you knew...I got ahead of myself and just like that...the pen was done :frown:

toddlf

I say this because you really do not want to cut the blank exact length of tube. You leave yourself no fudge factor from blow outs or cracks on the ends of the blanks.Or bandsaw flutter when cutting.

I did a horrible job of explaining myself in regards to this... I set the sled/stop/sizing jig up to include the fudge factor by default. That is, I set the stop block at a location that when the u-shaped sizing jig is used, there is about a 1/4" gap between the sizing jig and the blade of the saw. So later when I stacked the accent pieces and main body of the blank against the fence, with the tube in the jig, the main body of the blank would be the correct size needed after barrel trimming activities took place. I did mention that I had cut the accent pieces long to allow for the trimming to take place later.

Thank you for pointing this out. I hope I clarified for others that might of had the same concerns. :biggrin: :)

toddlf

Glad to see you make a video for the LLWW Pen Swap. I finished making my pen and getting ready to send it out. I thought about doing a video like I did the first year but before you knew...I got ahead of myself and just like that...the pen was done :frown:

I was pretty focused on the blank, There was so much I meant to say and do that I simply forgot (see my other replies regarding photos and blank size. ) I have a long way to go before I am telling my "Video Story" the way I see it in my head.

Thank you for the comment.

Top Bottom