My clamping rig for segments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MPVic

This is my first attempt at making a segmented blank - thanks to all of you who have shared your techniques.
1. I rough-turned the blank material & drilled on my lathe.

2. To keep the blanks centered I slipped the brass tube over the pilot while trimming the blanks. TIP: make sure you don't push the tube all the way up to the cutter - I did the first time & it flared which made it very difficult to pull off.
IMG_0090.jpg
3. My clamping 'rig' uses 1/4" threaded rod, 2 - 1/4" fender washers, 2 - star knobs & spacers (worn bushings or scrap pen barrels). I taped the fender washers to avoid getting glue on them.
IMG_0096.jpg
4. I dry fitted the segments - the "gift card" inserts are shown in the last photo. You can see the brass tube which was already mounted on the threaded rod after the spacer & fender washer went on.
IMG_0099.jpg
5. I used medium CA to glue the segments as I slid them onto the brass tube but had to hustle before the CA dried. After this I am only using epoxy to extend the working time. Be careful when tightening the knobs - you can get a lot of torque very easily which may squeeze out too much glue.
IMG_0103.jpg
If anyone has some suggestions to improve my 'rig' feel free.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RKB

Thanks for sharing your process. I am curious if you have any issues with the threaded rod being "glued" to the tube and if the glue gets inside the tubes? Thanks Rod

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
...Only thought is to find smaller diameter washers; just less to plow through. All else looks like a nice set-up.

Have FUN! I like turning segments on the lathe - they are very well spaced.

SteveG

This looks like it would work well for angled segments also, since c/l registration is provided by the all thread rod and good drilling, which could be done prior to cutting the angles. Nice design! (Simple is simply nice!)

dogcatcher

Another thing you can do is turn your blanks to 3/4 or 5/8 round. Then when you stack them, you can tell how the finished blank will turn out. Even angle cuts will line up if your cuts are equal.

Pre turning them round also makes it easier to get your drilled holes straight. Turn and then use the collet chuck to hold them while drilling. I don't have the above jig, so I just stack mine of a 1/4" dowel.

Woodchipper

Wrap the threaded rod with Teflon plumber's tape. Did this for cork rings for fishing rods.
As an aside, I'm finding a lot of things here that I did when I built rods.

Top Bottom