Modified Longboy, Flutes, rings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

It looks like you got that drilled dead on center. Not much room for error with those lengthwise segments and such a long pen. Beautiful work and a nice display of your expertise! When you do a modified Long Boy do you turn down the coupler or cut a custom length tube? I am going to try it, but wasn't sure of the pros/cons of the different methods.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
It looks like you got that drilled dead on center. Not much room for error with those lengthwise segments and such a long pen. Beautiful work and a nice display of your expertise! When you do a modified Long Boy do you turn down the coupler or cut a custom length tube? I am going to try it, but wasn't sure of the pros/cons of the different methods.

I took my first hints from this thread from Mal: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/quintet-long-boys-berea-kit-143509/

I am more lazy, so I actually used the stock tubes - blank cut to approximate length, give a little extra for the center band, then glued in the tubes from each end. There was a slight gap in the middle of the 4" blank (maybe 1/8"). It did not impose on the function of the pen.

So I did not use the center coupler. But both methods will work.

Dehn0045

I took my first hints from this thread from Mal: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/quintet-long-boys-berea-kit-143509/

I am more lazy, so I actually used the stock tubes - blank cut to approximate length, give a little extra for the center band, then glued in the tubes from each end. There was a slight gap in the middle of the 4" blank (maybe 1/8"). It did not impose on the function of the pen.

So I did not use the center coupler. But both methods will work.

Thanks for the details Mark. I was wondering if just leaving a gap would work, good to know it does.

Top Bottom