Making the Best of a Blowout

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bfrazier

I was turning out a Lava Bright II blank and as 3 out of ten do... blowout, just as I almost done. This pencil was for my younger son because he likes the nice big 2-mm lead and orange is his favorite color. I didn't have another orange blank so I had to think of something. I had the small cut off from before but it was not long enough. I had lots of little cutoff from so many deer antler projects that were already drilled, so this was the fix.
I cut down to the tube on the lathe, took a double sided gift card and cut to size drilling the hole and scraping, glued up with epoxy, cut off the overhangs, and returned and finished. Viola! I have a happy son and his friends are all envious of his deer antler segmented pencil. Sometimes you just have to take a step back and think it through.

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Good save! Nice looking pencil too!

Should you have another "Design Opportunity", you may want to consider putting the segmented part near the top of the pen...under the clip and having the larger piece towards the nib. Just a thought. Depends on which you think looks best.

Skie_M

Or better yet, you could incorporate more than 1 segmented part into the design, making it look more like it was intended to be segmented from the start.

bfrazier

Good save! Nice looking pencil too!

Should you have another "Design Opportunity", you may want to consider putting the segmented part near the top of the pen...under the clip and having the larger piece towards the nib. Just a thought. Depends on which you think looks best.
Yes, I agree; however, in this case I wanted to show off the little piece of deer antler. My son and his friends are real outdoors-men and everyone here is a hunter. The antler is the big seller

bpgoldo

Good save my friend. Instead of calling it "a save", more often I take credit for it as spontaneous design. Sometimes it is a gift. Yeah....I meant to do that.

Top Bottom