Lots of Firsts!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kadynr6

First time post on IAP, glad to be here.

First Segmented Pen. AND first time using a metal insert.

Jack Daniels Barrel Oak on top of Ancient Bog Oak, separated by a 1/8 angle bar stock aluminum.

any recommendations on how to get the blanks perfectly square on a band saw? had a rough time getting a good fit on the segments. thank you so much for any responses!

Attachments

• pen2.jpg
    pen2.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 347
  • pen.jpg
    pen.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 258
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Very nice first !! Look in the library under segmenting or jigs for help. Also check under photography on how to improve your photos.i Jim S

Kadynr6

Very nice first !! Look in the library under segmenting or jigs for help. Also check under photography on how to improve your photos.i Jim S

thanks Jim, i have been admiring your work for some time! so i really appreciate the kind words :)

Jim Burr

Banned
All I have is a band saw Kadyn...use your mitre jig...nothing says you have to go all the way through...fresh blade and go slow!!!! Also use a fill material that is the same thickness as the saw blade. And welcome!!

plantman

thanks Jim, i have been admiring your work for some time! so i really appreciate the kind words :)

You are welcome!! I also use my band saws with homemade jigs or my mini miter and mini table saws for complex segmenting. If you have questions or need help, just ask , someone here has always been there before. Jim S

Last edited:

Kadynr6

thank you all for the warm welcome. I looked into the library and will be constructing a sled tomorrow for my band saw to replace the stock slider assembly. thank you all again! and i look forward to learning as much as i can and posting many more times.

Kadynr6

Welcome from Texas Kaydn! The fit looks pretty good for a first shot. One option on the inside 90 would be a nice square sanding block.

Harry

well when i say it was rough... i mean i wasted probably a third of the blank before i got the angle close enough to fill with some medium CA :p but i will give the sanding block a shot for sure!

Hendu3270

Nice looking pen.

I made a small sled for my benchtop band-saw that gets me really close. I'll then take a very small square and a small file and fine tune the cut out to be right on. Then, and only then, will I glue up. And, like was said before, slow cutting or no cutting.

Top Bottom