A little out of the ordinary for IAP but

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

I am trying to make these spindles but every time I glue them up they go crooked (as seen by the lines). I have a simple jig to try to line them up but they get distorted when I clamp them in. All parts are flat and squared.
Help please!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
What kind of clamps are you using? Inexpensive bar clamps will flex with a tad too much pressure and the ends will not be in parallel.

In flat work, on many occasions, things have to be clamped in more than one direction/side/end to keep things square. That may be fairly small but the principle is the same.

keithbyrd

What kind of clamps are you using? Inexpensive bar clamps will flex with a tad too much pressure and the ends will not be in parallel.

In flat work, on many occasions, things have to be clamped in more than one direction/side/end to keep things square. That may be fairly small but the principle is the same.

I checked the clamp I was using and the end jaw is crooked! This is a 1" pipe clamp! Will assemble another and us a different clamp!
Thanks! I hope that's it!

jttheclockman

You will have to forgive me but what are we looking at. It looks like you drew slanted lines on a piece. How can we see what it is you are talking about. If they are square and equal I would treat it as if it were a pen blank cut on angles and use a straight edge to clamp them straight across and then clamp with a couple clamps at a diagonal.

Something similar to this. But in your case if you choose you can use a wider piece of angle. Home depot sells all sorts of sizes of aluminum. Also just use a piece of straight edge in front to clamp front to back. If the pieces are wide use 2 clamps to squeeze together. Remember to use wax paper between any supports

keithbyrd

John - this is 30 pieces of wood - maple and Brazilian Cherry 3/8 thick by 2 1/2 sq pieces glues together making a spindle just over 12 in long. The black lines represent square. THe pieces twisted when I clamped it. I found my clamp (thanks to lee's suggestion) had a crooked jaw and I think that is the problem. I made a simple jig to clamp it in(did not forget the wax paper) and have one drying now. Sure hope this one is right! I have a delivery by Friday!
Thanks for your suggestions - the trip to HD for some angle iron is a good idea.

jttheclockman

Clamping to a piece of angle will always ensure it will stay straight. You always need a reference point. At times I use panel clamps for something like that also. Many ways to clamp things like that but all require a reference point. If you free style the clamping pressure you can get what you describe even with a straight clamp. What you described is called creeping. Good luck

Last edited:

ZbR

Clamping 17 small pieces in one operation is a tough task. Of course one can make special jig (e.g. a kind of box in which glued elements are alined) but maybe it does not make sense for single glueing. The other solution which I happen to use is to carry glueing operation in stages. In this case I would glue packets of 5 pieces in the first stage and next glue them together. I also use staple gun as a kind of clamps.

keithbyrd

Thanks for the additional thoughts - gonna get some angle iron! I was able to glue it last night and checked this morning - it appears I made it!!!
Thanks for the helpful advice!

keithbyrd

Thanks for the additional thoughts - gonna get some angle iron! I was able to glue it last night and checked this morning - it appears I made it!!!

leehljp

Member Liaison

Keith,

Most angle iron has a small radius on the inside making it difficult to align unless all the pieces have a radius on one edge and these are aligned.

Look for a piece of Aluminum angled extrusions. These are usually square on the inside corner. You still need wax paper! DAMHIKT :eek: :redface: :biggrin:

jttheclockman

Yes Hank is correct. That is why I choose to use aluminum from Home Depot. Plus it is so much lighter to carry. :)They do have a nice selection of aluminum for all projects. Have to give that one to them:)

Top Bottom