A Lesson Learned

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JTisher

After drilling, don't ever try to turn off just a little more until after the tube is glued in :frown:. Those little pieces are hard to find. On the plus side I was able to salvage it.

Joe

Attachments

• 100_0562.jpg
    100_0562.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 448
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gimpy

After drilling, don't ever try to turn off just a little more until after the tube is glued in :frown:. Those little pieces are hard to find. On the plus side I was able to salvage it.

Joe

Just wondering why your turning the blank without the tube already inserted to begin with

JTisher

I had chucked the blank into the metal lathe to drill. While it was there, I started to turn the blank to even the wood and brass, then drilled. Then came the brilliance to take one more pass with the cutter.

It went fine until the bit reached the brass, then it was all over but the looking for pieces.

After an hour I had them all then had to put the puzzle together. I'll post pics of the finished pen later

Joe

Sylvanite

Just wondering why your turning the blank without the tube already inserted to begin with
I can't speak for Joe, but I usually turn segmented blanks round prior to drilling. My segmentations typically require a centered hole for the turned pattern to come out right. I get the best drill bit registration drilling on the lathe in a collet chuck. Therefore, after gluing the segments together, I identify the middle of the design, mark the ends, and turn the blank round between centers. Then I drill.

Before rounding particularly fragile blanks, I wrap them in twine (some people use cotton bandage wrap) and saturate the string with CA glue. That helps keep everything together while I'm knocking the edges off.

After drilling, I flood the hole with thin CA glue, just to insure that the segments are well bonded at the tube surface (it helps avoid blow-outs later). Once cured, I chase the hole and then glue in the tube.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Last edited:

gimpy

I can't speak for Joe, but I usually turn segmented blanks round prior to drilling. My segmentations typically require a centered hole for the turned pattern to come out right. I get the best drill bit registration drilling on the lathe in a collet chuck. Therefore, after gluing the segments together, I identify the middle of the design, mark the ends, and turn the blank round between centers. Then I drill.

Before rounding particularly fragile blanks, I wrap them in twine (some people use cotton bandage wrap) and saturate the string with CA glue. That helps keep everything together while I'm knocking the edges off.

After drilling, I flood the hole with thin CA glue, just to insure that the segments are well bonded at the tube surface (it helps avoid blow-outs later). Once cured, I chase the hole and then glue in the tube.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Ok, thanks for the explanation, never thought of it that way, I drill mine after they are squared, then drill the hole and insert the tube

Jim Burr

Banned
Another failure point of segments is the impact of the gouge on a square blank with a hole in it. Turning it round then drilling help the stability of the joints...DAMHIKT!!

JTisher

Other than double the time, It did turn out OK. Sorry about the pic quality. The light box is otherwise engaged, but the tomato and pepper plants are happy.:biggrin:

Joe

Attachments

• 100_0563.jpg
    100_0563.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 219
Top Bottom